• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Dec 19, 2018
Awards
First Name
Bill
I'm still struggling a bit to adapt to GA4. It just seems to me that some of the things that were simple in UA are much more complicated than they are in GA4. For instance, I'm trying to track a specific event name on a line chart showing how many times a specific event fired on a specific vehicle. To do this, I created an Exploration using the page path and screen class dimension combined with the event name dimension and included the event count metric. Then, I used filters to narrow down the pages and a specific name. Then I right-click on a particular page path and "Include only selection" and then click to the line chart visualization. This seems so much more complicated than it has to be.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    416.5 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: frankmissing
Looker Studio is the exact tool you're looking for. I quickly threw this together in under 2 mins for your exact use case.

Easy dropdowns to filter by event name, stock number, condition, make, model, etc.

@brianpasch's ASC standards have really streamlined GA4 reporting.

View attachment 9060
Thanks, Ryan. I may finally need to give it a shot.

Thanks, Ryan. I may finally need to give it a shot.
Yeah you should pick it up pretty quickly since you've been able to build out Explore reports!

The biggest thing is setting up custom dimensions for all of your different ASC event parameters. Filtering by page path is not recommended as it's slow loading and quickly eats into your API credit limits.

I'm still struggling a bit to adapt to GA4. It just seems to me that some of the things that were simple in UA are much more complicated than they are in GA4. For instance, I'm trying to track a specific event name on a line chart showing how many times a specific event fired on a specific vehicle. To do this, I created an Exploration using the page path and screen class dimension combined with the event name dimension and included the event count metric. Then, I used filters to narrow down the pages and a specific name. Then I right-click on a particular page path and "Include only selection" and then click to the line chart visualization. This seems so much more complicated than it has to be.
Explore is definitely the best tool here so sounds like you are on the right path. Happy to help you build out anything you are looking for as I build out custom explorations for clients all the time. Just shoot me a DM.

Google Analytics 4 is extremely difficult to use for me! And I also made a mistake by deleting all the standard reports and then had to create a new Google Analytics account (the old ones would have taken a long time to create). But now I'm used to it, it's convenient to see in real time who was on your site, it's very cool)))