• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Looking to become a dealer

Jul 17, 2024
Awards
First Name
Dan
I am located in Austin, TX and would like to explore the dealer world....however I don't want to invest in a building & lot, etc that are required for a retail dealer license....until I know this is something I want to pursue full time.

I would like to start buying a car or two, marketing it on Auto Trader/FB Marketplace and see how it goes.

Are there any services where I could become a registered agent for a dealer....or use a dealer's lot as my home base and sell locally?

Any feedback on this topic is greatly appreciated!!

I came across a website that bids for you in those auctions. If I can remember it, I'll try to post back.

Why not learn the market and buy from people locally and then try to to flip those cars?
Austin has a very different market than SA, the Metro Plex, and H Town. You could pull from them to supply your ATX crowd.

I'm ok with that.....the issue is I need access to the auctions to buy cars/get them at wholesale so I can resell them for a profit.

Any suggestions?
Ya, don't do that.

You will get eaten alive at a live Auction. Seriously, don't do that.

Buy stuff off the street. Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, etc.. There is money to be made on a lot of those vehicles, especially if you have the ability to recondition them.

If you are absolutely determined to go to an Auction, find a GSA Government Auction in your area. Those are open to the public. You can stand next to the dealers and see how the whole process works.

Reactions: Carsten
Hey nadylime, you could try partnering with a licensed dealer to access auctions or look into online auction platforms like Copart or IAA Auctions. Buying from locals and flipping cars can also be a good way to start. And don't forget to check out online marketplaces like Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for some great deals. Good luck!