• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Feedback from dealers using TRUECar

I was in the internet trenches for years and handled thousands of autobytel & truecar/zag leads. Autobytel would have a 3% to 5% closing average. TrueCar or Zag had 14% to 18%.

No Comparison.
Dan, I got the same results from Autobytel. In Dallas, I was running nearly 20% without buying leads from any source including the manufacturers third party leads. It has been a couple of years and I'm sure it is more competitive but I refuse to pay those blood suckers $300/car.

Dan, I got the same results from Autobytel. In Dallas, I was running nearly 20% without buying leads from any source including the manufacturers third party leads. It has been a couple of years and I'm sure it is more competitive but I refuse to pay those blood suckers $300/car.

So there is a correlation here:

Autobytel = cheaper leads = lower closing ratio

TC = expensive leads = higher closing ratio

As long as they require access to the store's DMS I would never have them in my store. Their model will always have a race to the bottom.

@ Yago, there was a lot more to it than Scott Painter's poor judgement. Read some out his articles before this all came down. This man has disdain for dealers. This PR move to "wag the dog" rings completely hollow to me. This man found god when he got his ass handed to him.

Reactions: 2 people
I've had TrueCar for about 6 months now and almost immediately regretted signing up. 99% of the leads are for vehicles we don't have and almost without exception the customers didn't want to be contacted when I reach out to them. I'm thinking that they've changed something up in the past few months because the quality of leads has really fallen in my opinion.<style id="_clearly_component__css" type="text/css">#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; } </style>

I need some feedback from anyone who has recently signed on with TRUECar. Originally when it first came out a while ago it was something that everyone (including myself) was totally against. All of the sudden I see every dealer around me is signed up. I am currently having a weak new car month and am wondering if its time to jump on the band wagon as some of my peers seem to be making headway in my PMA and we are not. We also are having our own customers come in with these misleading printouts and basically threatening to go elsewhere until we educate them. I don't see this as a tool to gain new business, but to keep from losing my own. Its not a good feeling to even be considering it. What I want to know is Are any of you signed up, and if so what are your thoughts. I want everyone's opinions even those who would never use it. I need to make an informed decision here on what way I want to take my store. Thanks in advance for all your input, everyone is always so helpful.

Hi Walt -- in my opinion, hard to beat "new" anything. New store opens-up, new gadget, etc. However -- "new" wears-off pretty quick.

Consumers are always looking for that "angle," that edge to try to get on the control end of negotiations with car dealers.

Remember when everyone started showing-up at the dealership with KBB then Edmunds values? Crazy-high trade numbers -- everyone's car was in EXCELLENT condition. That phenomena became a great training opportunity, and eventually everyone knew how to deal with it. Now, it's no big deal to see that stuff.

Same with Truecar -- it's NEW, and that's about it. It will wear-off and blend-in with the Zag's and and other crap promising that "inside edge" they can't deliver.

One important thing to keep in-mind: if they are at your store with a car and a quote from another dealer, 99% of the time it's because they COULDN'T GET WHAT THEY WANTED at that dealer :) (Mega-addendum labels, anyone?)

Reactions: 4 people