• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
I've been using TikTok for personal use for a while now. I've seen so many businesses crushin' it on there, especially with the Millennial target audience. You can also find some pro-level marketing tips just by scrolling through the app! I totally agree that TikTok is a great platform for promoting a business. I've even downloaded some videos that I thought were super cool, with the help of sstiktok.org, before they disappeared or got lost somewhere. With Facebook's restrictions and the poor ROI for Automotive Ads, it makes sense to jump on the TikTok train before everyone else does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: DSmovingmetal
I've used TikTok several times for marketing and I always get a kick out of the comments essentially validating how well it works haha! I've attached a screen shot of some of the replies we get but TikTok definitely does well with marketing to a local audience when it's paid. Of course when it's organic who knows who sees the videos but right now I'm using TikTok to get the sales people's faces out there so customers feel more comfortable when they first walk into the dealer and also promotions when needed. TikTok handle is @YoungerCars if anyone wanted to check it out. Criticism is welcome as I'm curious as to what other dealerships are doing with this as well! :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230208_085318_TikTok.jpg
    Screenshot_20230208_085318_TikTok.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
We are working with a small agency team that is entirely ran by college students, with employees having a minimum of 50,000 followers each. Inexpensive and we are seeing some great interaction. Our goal is branding, not direct selling, and we continue to grow our efforts. Looking to share our results at the fall Digital Dealer event.

We are working with a small agency team that is entirely ran by college students, with employees having a minimum of 50,000 followers each. Inexpensive and we are seeing some great interaction. Our goal is branding, not direct selling, and we continue to grow our efforts. Looking to share our results at the fall Digital Dealer event.
Kevin, of course you would have a team of influencers doing the work and branding- you're a thought leader.

And yes, all of these years later many stores continue to struggle with "social selling" because they still think they are just selling a unit on the lot and not an experience or brand. Content strategies and message blending needs to match your demographic and meet them where they are. Why do people say they hate going to a dealership to get a car? - Pick your answer and build on that. Why do people actually walk into your showroom? - Pick your answer and build on that. Ridiculous offers just build walls of mistrust with shoppers. If we want to avoid the return to race to the bottom of preVid days, make the best uses of the market hard reset and build your brand where your shoppers send their time.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
TikTok is a time suck, productivity waster, and attention diverter for 99% of dealerships.

That being said, our group has recently hired a full-time in-house TikTok content creator.

We're not focused on the organic aspect, though. We don't care how many tens of thousands of views we might receive on our videos. Why not? Most of those views probably aren't in the market to buy, but more importantly, are most likely halfway across the country.

Dealers focusing on TikTok views and followers is 2023's equivalent of dealers buying Facebook page likes. Don't waste a $30-50k salary on vanity metrics that will never influence someone in your local market to buy.

And don't tell your youngest salesperson to give this TikTok thing a "try." They have plenty of opportunity being wasted in your CRM before they should divert their attention elsewhere. TikTok is an art. It takes a unique type of person to be able to create engaging content through the ideation, shooting, and editing process.

Here's the secret sauce = TikTok-style content run as ads on Facebook / Instagram Stories + Reels and TikTok to local in-market buyers. Suddenly your "ads" don't seem like ads. You resonate more with your audience, build your local brand, and are rewarded with lower CPMs.

For TikTok, I think its important to distinguish between new vs pre-owned

For franchises its much easier from a brand perspective bc they have content provided from the OEM
For Indys its much different

IMHO...

Some Pros
- Verified Account Profile
- ADF integration w/ CRM
- Entertaining/Brand awareness

Some Cons
- TikToks algorithm & hashtags #carsoftiktok are based off brands, e.g, Ford, BMW, Dodge, etc.
- Does not integrate or implement catalogues (no real data behind claims of attribution)
- Does not offer VIN specific ads/content
- ADF integration w/ CRM, but no full 2-way integration to determine conversions
- Not automated, dealer has to do a lot of work & provide own content
- Verified Business Accounts dont have access to trending audio/music (to my understanding)

Conclusion:
- As a franchise = YES
- As an indy, if you want to brand your dealership, entertain & have someone at dealership dedicated to creating really good content = YES
- If you want to sell VIN specific & have eyes on attribution & ROI = Not Yet
- Better to put ad spend into FB Ads or CL

Does not offer VIN specific ads/content
Various ad agencies are actually already running dynamic catalog-based TikTok ads for car dealers.

Google VLA's were all the rage in 2022 for agencies to pitch. Mark my words, TikTok dynamic inventory ads will be all the rage in late 2023. Automotive loves buzzy (TikTok) and easily scalable (catalog-based).

Because what does every TikTok user want to see? A picture of a car turned into a video with an animation of snowflakes over top of it.

I personally only see promise in running these types of catalog-based ads on TikTok to retargeting audiences. TikTok just isn't the right venue for catalog-based ads to any other type of audience than retargeting.

Reactions: DSmovingmetal
Here's the secret sauce = TikTok-style content run as ads on Facebook / Instagram Stories + Reels and TikTok to local in-market buyers. Suddenly your "ads" don't seem like ads. You resonate more with your audience, build your local brand, and are rewarded with lower CPMs.

This is the actionable tidbit. I'll do it and report back. I suspect its the only way I use short-form video moving forward.