• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Converting to Apple

I can't think of any parts of GM GlobalConnect that I interact with that aren't at least Safari-tolerant. Dealer.com's control center as of last check. (steer you to Firefox, which I greet with a warm meh.)

Changed your words around a little in the quote above - hope you don't mind.

Start using the new Dealer.com Control Center (CC7) and it will work on Safari, Chrome, iPad, and pretty much anything.

Is there any particular reason you want to go MAC? Planning on hiring a bunch of young people and going for "hip?"

My personal experience is that transitions are hard enough without having the tedium of having to re-learn basic processes and functionality that were once taken for granted; akin to starting a basketball team but instead of working on offense and defense, you have to spend a few weeks in the locker room teaching them how to get dressed and tie their shoes.

If theres' a really, really good reason -- that's another story. But don't fool yourself: MAC's are not easy to use if you've been using Windows all your life -- especially if you've been grudgingly using Windows all your life. I have a hard time envisioning ever inflicting MACs on my Sales Floor Staff...

Changed your words around a little in the quote above - hope you don't mind.

Start using the new Dealer.com Control Center (CC7) and it will work on Safari, Chrome, iPad, and pretty much anything.
Edited for clarity; it's been some time since I've logged into a DDC site.

Is there any particular reason you want to go MAC? Planning on hiring a bunch of young people and going for "hip?"

My personal experience is that transitions are hard enough without having the tedium of having to re-learn basic processes and functionality that were once taken for granted; akin to starting a basketball team but instead of working on offense and defense, you have to spend a few weeks in the locker room teaching them how to get dressed and tie their shoes.

If theres' a really, really good reason -- that's another story. But don't fool yourself: MAC's are not easy to use if you've been using Windows all your life -- especially if you've been grudgingly using Windows all your life. I have a hard time envisioning ever inflicting MACs on my Sales Floor Staff...
I'll agree that there are some potential pitfalls to this equation, but I'll note that I ran a computer lab back in my college days. At first, it was four PCs, then three PCs and a hand-me-down Mac (still on OS X). The Mac had far fewer problems staying up. When the time came to replace these computers, I pressed for four iMacs running both OS X (Leopard, I think was the current version then) and Windows XP in a dual-boot setup. When all I had to do to fix any Windows problem was jump into the OS X administrator account and re-image, life got a LOT easier.

For all the similar problems I run into among salespeople (we have IT staff, but not onsite...you know what happens then), I long for the day I can say an iPad would do what they need. Much harder (though not impossible) for a salesman to bork its software.