• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How are your phone skills?

After a week of educating myself on Green Screen, Adobe Premier Elements 10, lighting and many other odds and ends, I have created my first video using the above elements. This is the first in a series of videos that will be incorporated into our online phone coaching process. We're going to be releasing some nice enhancements to our software tool in the next couple of weeks.

So how did I do?

NICE JOB Jerry! Personally, it's a little light on bikini-clad young people for my taste, but not hateful at all! ;)

lol your brain freeze moment is hilarious, but understandable. I like these videos and I think you are onto something. I agree 100% with standing up while making your follow up calls. I use a jawbone bluetooth on my cell and pace my office while on calls. I feel too restricted holding a phone up to my ear while sitting down. Good stuff, but you already know that.

Does anyone use Outbound Call Tracking? I love the idea of it, but I've spoken to a couple people at call-tracking companies and was informed that it alerts the customer once they answer the phone that "This call may be recorded... etc." IMO wouldn't it be kind of weird if you answered an incoming call, and that was the first thing you heard?

Reason for this, is that I've realized that phone calls (inbound and outbound) are an area where we need some big improvements. We want to improve how we handle phone calls (setting appts., controlling the conversation, handling objections, and limiting the "I'll call you back"). Also, we need to add better accountability to our sales team with the follow-up processes we've set-up. This is not so we can micro-manage, but rather so our team can get better and we can fine-tune our processes. I believe that you have to know that processes are being followed so you can use accurate data to measure and improve our processes. (can't improve what you don't measure!)

I've looked into PBX server integration, and we are considering that more so as a last resort. However, I would prefer to be able to record the outbound calls for training purposes. We do have inbound call recording through the 3rd party sites we use, and each of our web sites (which are more for training and tracking purposes).

Any good recommendations for us? Maybe something you're using or have used?

BTW I've really only joined in on a couple posts here at DR, but I do avidly read this forum, pretty much on a daily basis. I've gotten a lot of good insight from everyone on here. So here's a big thank you!

Hey Josh,

You think it would be a little strange to answer the phone and immediately hear "This call may be recorded"??? Why's that? Just kidding.

We provide outbound call tracking and the recorded message isn't required. I'd love to speak with you when you have some time. There are a host of folks on here who agree with you on all your points above...It's called the Hawthorne Effect! See this post: One Way to Improve Your Dealerships Skills on the Phone

-Mike

JS Cole,

We actually coach outbound calls for many dealers. I use Century Interactive to record outbound calls. Simply dial a number and then punch in your customers number and presto it's recorded.

In order to record a call, only one party needs to know the call is being recorded. However, there are 11 or 12 states that requires you to notify both parties when recording. Here is a look at those states: State recording laws If you live in one of those states then I would say not to bother recording outbound calls.