• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How are your phone skills?

Yesterday evening I got this e-mail:

[FONT=&quot]"Hi Jerry,

I just went through your awesome thread "How are your phone skills?" with Chad (and Carl) on dealerrefersh.com forum and I have to say I was impressed.

I know you mentioned in December that you were looking for more volunteers that weren't shy. I would be that girl, if you were still in the market!

However, here's my situation: I'm going on my 3rd (and hopefully final interview because I got the job) for an internet sales coordinator position on friday morning. I'm super psyched about this position and I'm hoping to not only get it but to do really well in the position. This is a brand new position for this dealership, so that's why I would welcome any of your free coaching as I really don't know what that have available.

I know they currently have an internet sales manager that is constantly swamped so that's why they want to bring in an internet sales coordinator.

Please let me know if you'd be interested in me volunteering if I get this position and I'm curious what do you feel would be some good short and long term goals for me being in this particular position?

Oh I probably should tell you that I've never been in the car industry before, but I've been in customer service for 19 yrs. and sales for 11 yrs. (even done some real estate sales.) I do have some experience with calling folks back who sent in internet leads in the real estate field, customer service field and printer field.

Thanks so much and I look forward to hearing from you! Have an awesome day!"

Needless to say I was quite taken by this e-mail. How often do you see a potential employee take it upon themselves to go out and do research and seek out help even before they have the job.

I wrote her back and told her that I would be happy to provide her with some free coaching. I also told her that if they don't hire her, I'll find her a job at another dealership. I really like her ambition and attitude. This gal has a bright future in the automotive world.

So as soon as she starts we're all going to get to know her very well since I am reviving this thread with a new protege.
[/FONT]

I promised you all I would revive this thread and here we go!

Let me start by introducing you to Carey Buck who has never worked in the automotive industry. Carey is the newest Internet Rep at Faulkner BMW. I've spent some time over the last week teaching Carey the proper techniques for making and taking phone calls. She has also spent some time on our website learning the scripts.

Here is her first recorded outbound call and I thought she did an awesome job since it resulted in an appointment.

Carey's Coached Call

Look for more outbound and inbound coaching sessions with Carey over the next several weeks. She reads the thread so make sure you give her a proper welcome. She'll have to join as well and post some of her own comments.

WOW! Amazing job! Do you work with vendors? I always continued to improve my phone skills in the car business but I struggle finding enough content to read for vendor calls. I would love to speak with you about this.

678-446-7603

Practicing what we preach! LIke your style Ryan. In my opinion Jerry is the man , hope to be able to send some canucks your way Jerry.

Last edited: