• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Silly Shit in the car business! Post your favorite!

So many stories to choose from, so I'll go close to the bottom of the barrel.

It's 2006 and I'm 21, fresh on the sales floor. Been there about 3 months and I'm FRESH out college so I'm broke as sin. The only dress clothes I have aren't of the highest quality and because either myself or my wife wash them so much they're pretty much rags already. So now picture a 95 degree day (YES it does get that hot up here in Canada) and I'm going out for a test drive in a GMC Envoy with a couple.

I kill the walkaround and they love me. Grab the keys and start the demo drive. I take the truck off the lot and my usually "switch" location where I hop out and the husband jumps from passenger to driver and after I insist the wife get up into the passenger seat from the back. I'm then gonna jump into the back seat, and if you know Envoy's, the back seats are a little awkward to get into. So as I'm stretching into the back seat the seams let go on my pants and I'm not talking a small little 2 or 3 inch rip, it's a herculean gash over a foot long in the crotch of my pants... The people love me and I'm fairly confident I can smooth this over and use it to build some rapport, as embarrassing as it is until I realize I've taken it to the next level today by flying commando.

As I pain through the next 20 minutes of test drive I'm FRANTICALLY texting my sales manager to help a brother out... which if you're in his position you KNOW you'd milk for all you can. He had his fun and finally after we where back at the dealership from the test drive I explained to them what happened (sans any mention of no gitch), I told them how embarrassed I was and that my manager was gonna bring out a coat or something to tie around my waist. My manager made me sit there for about 5 minutes or so, while he joked with them about making me squirm before he came out and helped. Got inside, put on a happy face and closed the deal within the next 5 minutes.

Talk about an exceptional buying experience :D A bonus to the story is they put a clothing advance in place right after that for any new hires where you could get $500 and have it taken off your check over the next 6 months to avoid any more balls out test drives.

Reactions: 6 people