• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook pages not welcome?

mboemler

Green Pea
Dec 17, 2009
First Name
Mark
Hello! My name is Mark. I'm an avid reader of the DealerRefresh blog and forums. I've learned a lot and plan on continuing to learn from the vast knowledge base available here.

So, the reason for my post, I'm just finishing my 1st month on the sales floor at a local Honda dealership. I'm choosing to leave the name of the dealership out for my protection.

Before I started, I created a Facebook fan page for myself as a floor sales person of the dealership titled "Mark B****** at B******** Honda". The President of the dealer group has discovered my fan page and asked me to take it down. I suspect that he doesn't like that I'm branding my name with the dealer group name. My argument is, how is that any different from any other advertising I would do on an individual basis branding myself with the dealership?

As a 26 year old in the car business, I realize the benefit of social media toward my career. In my first month I've already generated several leads from this fan page, requested my sold customers to my "Like" me and have accrued more Fans than any of the dealer group's individual Fan pages.

I've spoken with my sales manager that passed the message along to me. He is on my side and also sees the benefit, but he must listen to his order from above. After speaking with him, he agreed to talk to the GM of the Honda store about allowing me to keep it.

I'm frustrated that my ambition is not being accepted and I'm looking for any suggestions or opinions from the experts.

Thanks for your time!

Mark

Last edited:
Yeah, I have seen this before. Number one reason is what if you do this, then post something they deem inappropriate. I have seen some crazy status updates from people.

I am not saying you would do this, but from a brands perspective...

Good luck to you!

The issue is what happens if you leave? The Dealer will want to shut it down, and if you are the admin, they can't. Did you create it with a personal email address or a company address? If you can show it was opened with a company email address, that they will control if you leave, AND give them the password so they could take it down, they might let you have it.

Honda corporate is pretty strict in what they will allow, so it might be above the Dealers head.

Mark,

I would just use your normal page to market to and prospect for customers. I personally think you'll get more activity from a personal page than a fan page. I can't blame your dealership for wanting to protect it's name. What happens when you decide to leave, if that were to happen?

Ahhh... did I miss that It's your name and your FB page?

What does the dealer do with ALL 600 of his employees? Shut them down one by one? Wouldn't the local media like to have fun with that spin. The headline will read: "Don't mention where you work on your FaceBook, or you'll get fired!" Talk about a sh*t storm all over FB in your market!

Was there a FB policy in place prior to your notice? (doubt it). Does the dealer know that SOCIAL MEDIA will FOREVER be in the hands of ALL of his staff? ...and.... He doesn't want you to prospect where the people are???

WTF. Sales is prospecting & Facebook is social. IMO, get a SM policy in place and train, THEN enforce. You don't manage people like you have something to hide. Go find a dealer that gets it.

Here's an example of one of our Salespeople's dealerrater pages
it's a good way to brand both yourself and the dealership. Use your Facebook page to be you, grow your network and let them know you sell cars often enough so they don't forget but not so much you become annoying. Every now and then share your DealerRater page with your network so they can see people like to buy from you and when they are ready they will come to you.

Or you can do as Uncle Joe recommends and move up to New England, give up the Hondas and come work at a store where we love our salespeople's networks and you get to sell Toyotas.:D

Thanks for all of the input! I really appreciate it.

@Autoarchitech: I've considered that. I would be more than willing to allow Admin access. In fact, I've offered to help with growing the Fan pages for the other stores. However, I did not consider the strict manor of this particular manufacturer. Thank you.

@Jerry: What I'm trying to avoid is completely blending my personal life with my work life. I'm the type that eats and sleeps my career, but I do require some level of privacy. So the idea of having an opt in Fan page while allowing me to have some privacy with my own personal page attracts that part of me. Plus, having the dealership name help brand name any time I update a status or post a customer testimonial is something I feel that can be very helpful.

@Joe: I'm not concerned about the security of my job. I'm just frustrated that I'm potentially being restricted on my methods of prospecting. I would love to help implement a SM policy for the group, however, it's not always easy being heard as a 26 year old that's been at this particular dealership for 1 month.

This group is the highest volume dealer group in our market, really offers a high level of respect and service to our customers and has been a great organization to work for thus far. I'm a believer in making a home at a dealership that can offer you everything you need to be successful and branding yourself there. So, this hurdle isn't worth looking for the "greener grass". I do plan on taking a few more runs at the management with my frustration on this matter and you've all given me some great things to consider while pleading my case.

Thanks again for allowing me an avenue to vent a frustration and for your opinions.

Thanks Craig. That is a great idea. The dealer group is already very involved with DealerRater

mboemler,

I sent you a private message already but I wasn't sure if you were familiar with that part of the forum. I'll be happy to try and help you get a personalized page started. Turns out I know a guy. Looks like you have a good handle on how to leverage it already, but I don't mind talking through that strategy with you too.

If your dealership is already a certified dealer it doesn't cost anything, the dealer retains all admin access and you can flash it around your personal network when you want to, as Craig said, and still keep some privacy out there. Obviously not an apples to apples comparison to what you are currently doing, but it may be a compromise that your managers can live with and provide a ton of benefit to you as well.

Feel free to give me a call,
Ryan
800.266.9455 x729

@Jerry: What I'm trying to avoid is completely blending my personal life with my work life. I'm the type that eats and sleeps my career, but I do require some level of privacy. So the idea of having an opt in Fan page while allowing me to have some privacy with my own personal page attracts that part of me. Plus, having the dealership name help brand name any time I update a status or post a customer testimonial is something I feel that can be very helpful.

Then create a separate account using your exact same name and associate it with a different e-mail address. Use your work e-mail address. With this account you keep it strictly professional business contacts.

See this article I wrote earlier in the year: Ninja Training Articles

Every time you meet a customer, invite them to be friends with you on facebook. Think of this as social CRM. You find a way to have 5000 friends in your market and you do all the right marketing things with those people, you'll easily sell 30 vehicles per month. Why are dealers afraid of this? You quit and now you have access to take all those people to your next dealership. It's a catch 22.