• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook #1 Referrer to my site???

@Joe - Autotrader is certainly direct marketing, Facebook is indirect. It would interesting to see some data though on how valuable an Autotrader customer is vs. a Facebook customer. In other words, think of value in much broader terms than how much money they spent because value can be measured in how smooth a transaction goes, how much trust do they have before their first visit, etc.

If someone has no way of differentiating one dealer from the other except by price then the chances they'll leave disappointed or unhappy is much higher than someone who's been referred by a good friend. As soon as the referred customer drives up they already know the name of the person they want to meet with, ideally they even have an appointment. And because this prospect has a friend that is anxiously awaiting to hear if their experience went well, this prospect has that future conversation on their mind and wants very much to go back with a sincere thank you for making such a good referral.

Facebook brings the dealership experience to people who may not have been in the market to buy a car, but since they went with a friend or family member to an event at the dealership perhaps they were impressed and saw something they liked when they were there.

I suspect that every dealer has a fairly good idea at what their close rate is for people who come to the dealership. Sure that number is going to be lower when large groups of people come for an event as opposed to browsing the lot - but thats still people looking at inventory and doing some subconscious decision making while having a good time.

So ideal customers, in my opinion, are the ones who will reward a dealer with good reviews if they had a remarkable experience (I think Dealerrater referrals for instance top Autotrader). Customers that will tag other people they know in the Facebook photos (100% clickthough rates on those emails is not uncommon), they will be more likely to come to an event, more likely to give a referral, and if they know that a dealer is going to be fair then they won't put off buying a car for months because they dread walking in and being misled.

Also, I would spend some significant time getting to know who in your area are influential bloggers, community leaders, aspiring writers, auto enthusiasts, small business owners, etc etc. Make extra efforts to listen to their needs and give them great referrals without expectation that they do the same for you.

The ways people are making buying decisions have completely changed, print media is gone so don't invest in newspaper ads, television is declining - let the OEM's spend their money there, the internet is becoming the primary source where people begin their research and they decide based on follow-up, dealership ratings, experience, etc etc.

<UncleJoe rant>

Our FB stats will always suck
(un-measurable conversions, high bounce rates, low pgs p/visit). BUT, If you (or anyone else) can show me a way to produce % New Visitor > 70%, NOW YOU'LL HAVE MY ATTENTION.

Now, it's time for Uncle Joe's $0.02 and a challenge.
We all know no Social Media Fairy likes the "ROI Question" and I am over asking that question (because there is no ROI). Unless your store is so progressive and organized that your have a dedicated SM staff producing great SM content.

I am having problems funding that SM Staff. BUT, I will sit up and shut up if anyone can show me a way to get FB referrals that are new visitors >75%. Now, that's business opportunity that I get.

I realize that %New Visitors this is NOT FB's strong suit. But you can't deny that all this chatter behind Social Media is the GIGANTIC MASS AUDIENCE that awaits those that dare to invest time and treasure into this arena. Any FB effort with a high "% New Visitors" is a gigantic eye-opener and I'll buy in with both feet!

I've said it before, FB = Millions of people behind very high walls. A Low "% New Visitors" stat is a hallmark of this fact.

Where's the Beef?
</rant>

Last edited:
...So you're saying you'd spend equal amounts on Autotrader and Facebook if you could get a %new visitor to 70%+

Did I say that Scott? No. I have so many projects that need time and treasure, FB is but one. I prioritize my tasks by ROI. FB is no where on the 1st page.

BUT... I did say I'd FINALLY "Sit up and take notice" if I saw a stat like that from FB referrals (I would bring FB to page one on my todo list).

For me, FB is the "Crazy Uncle in the Closet". I hear him, I know he's there but I don't want to talk to him.

For me, FB is the "Crazy Uncle in the Closet". I hear him, I know he's there but I don't want to talk to him.

That literally made me laugh out loud!

I like and respect your stance.

I will do some digging and refining here in the next few months and if nothing else - we will get some good dialogue out of it.

Just so I fully understand you would take notice when the FB visitors stats show that 70% of those visits from FB are in fact new visitors? Mine right now are showing 35% and autotrader 76%. Those stats?

Also to understand your reasoning for taking notice is that you want to drive new traffic to the site - not folks that are already going to my site? Correct?

...Just so I fully understand you would take notice when the FB visitors stats show that 70% of those visits from FB are in fact new visitors? Mine right now are showing 35% and autotrader 76%. Those stats?

Also to understand your reasoning for taking notice is that you want to drive new traffic to the site - not folks that are already going to my site? Correct?

You nailed it Marc. All businesses need new blood, new faces, new customers to replace the old ones don't come back. That's the reason dealers spend $300-500 in ad costs PVR to keep the dealer machine printing cash (making sales).

%76 of your autotrader visitors have not been to your website before, whereas 35% of your FB visitors are fresh faces.

I'll throw some salt on your wounds and piss you off a bit. If FB sent you 100 visitors and your bounce rate is 50% then you really have 50 visitors. If 35 of 100 visitors are fresh faces, how many of those were bounces? Gulp. Ohoh, yup, it is entirely possible that with 50 bounces, It is "numerically possible' that all 35 new faces bounced. Now, thats not whats happening, but it does reveal the DEPTH of exploration you have to do to test your ideas.

Lets have some FB/Google Analytics fun, on the dashboard page look to top right, click along with me!

"Advances Segments" >> "All Visits" >> "Create a new advanced segment " >> "Dimensions" >> "Traffic Sources" >> "Source" >> choose facebook.com

This sets up a look at FB visitors. Now lets block all FB'ers that bounce. On that same page click along with me!

"Add "and" statement" >> ""Dimensions" " >> "Visitors" >> "Page Depth" >> "Is Greater than..." >> 1

Name Segment: Facebook non-bouncers

'viola! Ck out those stats again! Time on site, page depth, etc.. Much better.

Now... if you can just figger outta way to build a road from FB to your site.... call me would you? ;-)

Did I say that Scott? No. I have so many projects that need time and treasure, FB is but one. I prioritize my tasks by ROI. FB is no where on the 1st page.

BUT... I did say I'd FINALLY "Sit up and take notice" if I saw a stat like that from FB referrals (I would bring FB to page one on my todo list).

Believe me Joe, I'm with you on prioritizing time and I certainly wouldn't expect nor suggest anyone drop whats working for something that might produce a glimmer of hope.

I've built facebook apps, iPhone apps, social networking sites, and during that time learned that more than anything I was actually building relationships with people.

I know that you've done a lot of your own web development on your sites as well, even if you didn't code it, you put together the scope and told them what to build. Having that kind of commitment is evident in the help you provide here.

For me, I wouldn't be nearly as far along if I didn't have help from certain people that are involved in this forum and in this industry, including you.

Along the same lines, I suspect that the more people help others whether its going and helping them move into a new house or give some advice that led them in a new direction, the value of that relationship becomes exponentially more powerful.

So how does this relate to which sources send you traffic?

This is just my theory, but heres what I think. The most powerful or valuable things that happen in life are done without explanation, without being measured, without being able to replicate under the same conditions, without having business objectives, without attribution. This simply means that for me, when I speak to someone who gets this stuff I learn and when I speak to someone that doesn't I teach. When I can neither learn or teach, I find someone else to speak with. I think thats becoming the motivation of most people in every experience they encounter and in supporting that we open new doors for people that they are comfortable in exploring.

Take Ford for example. I sincerely doubt anyone is sitting around saying "we should have never done that Facebook reveal of the new Explorer" or "we should never let the CEO say that Lexus has the best car in the world" even if it was the truth at the time. Mulally said that because it was true, but because he also wanted to be the best and set out to get there. These are risky things to do, not with thousands of dollars either, they gambled the company on social media and won.

I'm not saying that the car business has to become events of enlightenment, but I really do believe that if your business wants to resonate in the minds of the customer, it must seek out ways to become different. The fact of having things in the best interests of the customer must be #1, and currently they aren't. Here's why.

The customer has issues with not being consistently spoken to from one person to the next. I believe that internal competition, or unwillingness to accept blame when a mistake is made can be a couple of reasons. It seems that regardless of what is really going on, the customer never sees it exactly the way it really is so even good transactions carry a certain amount of hesitancy in the minds of the customer to feel fully confident.

Since referrals can represent to some extent the value or perceived value of a relationship, people are careful not to give poor ones out. On the contrary, if someone goes way beyond to help in a situation where not only is help unexpected, its to the disadvantage of the person giving it, the value is hard to measure or compare.

One example, giving away a customer to a competitor because it is in the best interests of the customer. This is hard, its clearly not doing anything for you or your business if you strictly measure ROI. What it does though, is become a memory that can span years and come around without ever really having the expectation to.

I see incredible opportunity for business owners to re-evaluate the message they're sending to people and do some analysis on how that message is intended to help or somehow make someone have a better day. Advertising and displaying the inventory, getting visitors to view the products are one thing, but getting someone to think that when it comes time where they're buying a new car it is without a doubt going to be from a certain individual is another.

Its become such that before I even think of talking to someone, I've looked them up, saw their blog, website, facebook, twitter, and have gained a tremendous understanding of how I can help them or how I see a mutual benefit to meeting them. This act typically stems from someone having said I should meet up with someone they spoke to recently because it sounds like we'd have some interesting things to talk about.

When people are doing this, thinking of me because of a previous discussion or what they read about what I'm doing these days on my blog, I am yet to find anything more valuable than being able to reach out to the people I know for help on just about anything I can think of.

This is why Google is threatened by Facebook, but eventually Facebook will be threatened by those who may have started building a network on their site or leveraging their site have gone off onto their own domain where organic search is low in terms of percentage of new visitors. The ultimate is to have people subscribing to you, reading your emails, engaging in the commentary, but essentially coming back because they gain a little bit of knowledge each time. When that happens, in my opinion, the budget spent to advertise isn't needed, and word of mouth represents a majority of the business.

This may seem like something that doesn't apply to cars, and it doesn't, at that point. Because you made it not about the product, but about the people who are looking to gain that thing that they get from you, that nobody seems to fully understand or be able to valuate they just know they need it.