• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Our Locations on Google Places were merged and now they aren't?

mbmotorsports

Sled Master
Oct 16, 2010
First Name
Jesse
We have 2 used car lots that are right across the street from each other. One is our truck lot and the other our car and motorcycle lot. Both Locations are active on Google places. Yesterday Google had these locations merged (pics, reviews, etc) and it's been that way for a while now. Today , all of a sudden they are showing separate on Google. This might be better for SEO but for reviews it's going to be double work. Any ideas what's happened and how we could get them back to one listing? Or thought on benefits of having the two listings?

mb-google-places.jpg

moz-screenshot.png

Hey Jesse,
Google has made some big strides in comparing places based on addresses and because the two stores have different addresses it looks like they've listed both separatly. From Google's point of view, it makes sense, but as you said, twice the effort on your part.

One of your listings is using the Sponsored link in Google - it might be worth it to have the text say "Read Reviews" and then just link the user into the Places page for the other listing.

Chip-

Jesse,

I'd personally consider it a blessing in disguise. I know you can modify your Google places in ways that will cause it to pop in certain searches more. Kind of like SEO for Google Places. I'd wrap each one around the products that they offer.

Sure you may have double duty with the reviews but there is so much more potential there when you have two places.

Just my take.

I am with Nathan on that.

Thoughts: Check your business name filings ( DBA, LLC, Inc., etc) See how your biz name/address is presented on the legal documents. Its a P.I.A. but its a HIGH AUTHORITY document that will influence the beast (AKA Google).

My dealer group has different LLC's for each roof and an unrelated URL (biz name not in URL). That caused me to realize that I needed letter perfect name and addresses to match the legal docs to improve my sites local authority.

Last edited:
Joe is right on your business dba info. That is INCREDIBLY important for Google matching up your listings and the associated ratings sites online. Make sure you put your info online exactly like your business dba, to include name, address, phone number (not tracking number), and your root website address.

@Jarrett - Google Tags has helped our conversion rate on our Google Places listings jump 50% plus...

Jarrett - were not really getting that many hits. something like 20 over the past 30 days. I considered it more of a listing enhancing tool and never really thought it would change much. Just something to spiff up my listing when the results come up. We are actually only linking to our places photos (our happy customers!)

Joe - Much Appreciated. What are your thoughts on Service Areas and Location Settings? In June when the research page was listed it was said to be new and could hurt rankings. Have you heard anything lately on this? We are currently going out 50 miles and impressions over the last 30 days haven't seemed to change much.

Joe, Thanks Again for the info!

Jarrett - were not really getting that many hits. something like 20 over the past 30 days....

Joe - Much Appreciated. What are your thoughts on Service Areas and Location Settings? In June when the research page was listed it was said to be new and could hurt rankings. Have you heard anything lately on this? We are currently going out 50 miles and impressions over the last 30 days haven't seemed to change much.

Joe, Thanks Again for the info!

re Tags:
Same finding. Not killers numbers, but what the heck it's $25 a month!!! NOTE: The CTR on tags will go into the toilet when everyone else piles on. Get it now and enjoy the visibility advantage while you have it.

re WIDE Service Area:
Did the same as you, found no measurable changes. I may reset it back to default soon.