• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Do you REALLY want to DIY?

terrencegordon

8 Pounder Veteran
Apr 20, 2009
First Name
Terrence
I hear a lot about dealers who are frustrated with their Website and/or Online Marketing vendor because of the lack of control or access to make their own changes. On the other hand, I see many more who are quick to never use the intuitive features and tools they already have access to.

So what level of control are dealers TRULY looking for in regards to their websites and online marketing initiatives (specifically SEO & SEM)? And what would the ideal Do It Yourself solution look like if it came in a box?

With Cobalt, something that pisses me off is how they require us to collect a physical address for someone to fill out a lead capture form. Our lead count dropped so much when they implemented this several months ago. We have no control over this. Would be nice to be able to run some A/B tests on lead capture forms to see which criteria generates the most leads.

Also, something I don't understand is why none of the providers give users access to the source code? I would love to run website optimizer tests on the effect of changing various layouts/colors/call to action copy/etc. but that seems fairly difficult given the amount of control that the vendors want to maintain.

Source code is a tricky area. Much of the coding is proprietary which is typically part of the reason why vendors are reluctant to open that up. The other is that it also increases the chances of someone breaking the site. I've been involved in web development for automotive and in other verticals and even when the client has actual developers managing the site, the frequency of the site breaking goes drastically up. That's not productive for the vendor or for the client.

When you look at it from a business perspective as well, for every one dealer who has someone dedicated to E-Commerce with a real web development background there are nine that do not. However, as time goes on, I do see vendors doing more and more flexible solutions.

With Cobalt, something that pisses me off is how they require us to collect a physical address for someone to fill out a lead capture form. Our lead count dropped so much when they implemented this several months ago. We have no control over this. Would be nice to be able to run some A/B tests on lead capture forms to see which criteria generates the most leads.

Also, something I don't understand is why none of the providers give users access to the source code? I would love to run website optimizer tests on the effect of changing various layouts/colors/call to action copy/etc. but that seems fairly difficult given the amount of control that the vendors want to maintain.

Sweece;

Are you on a factory program site? If not you should be able to change the form...

Now, if you can't change a form--and you pay for the site--then change away from Cobalt (and I have nothing bad to say about Cobalt BUT focus on the issue at hand) to Dealer.com, Motorwebs.com, etc.

Just for show--same dealer:

Cobalt: Clyde Revord Motors| Seattle Buick, Seattle GMC| Everett Buick Everett GMC
Form: Clyde Revord Motors – Everett, Buick, GMC dealership – contact info, phone number, email address

Motorwebs: Clyde Revord Seattle Buick GMC dealer Seattle used cars Everett WA
Form: Clyde Revord Buick GMC dealership - Contact Form

I moved from a Third Party Vendor Management position into a Media Manager position inside my current Dealer Group. They wanted the control, additional photos, and New Inventory. Cost wise to have that preformed via any Third Party Lot Service would have been significantly more than hiring an in-house photographer. I'm just over three months in, and they seem very happy with the setup we've got in place. While they took a big risk putting all of their eggs in my basket, they have an outstanding reputation to work for, and in reality if I were to leave, our Inventory Control vendor can jump in and resume photography until they replace me. It's a safe move for the dealership.

...And what would the ideal Do It Yourself solution look like if it came in a box?

If I were givien the task to build a totally new a car dealer platform, I'd build it with the tools needed to please the thought leaders. Once the thought leaders are rockin' it (good for street cred), your next hurdle is to satisfy the dealers who need a 'turn key' solution. Here's one way to get it done...

If, for example, you were to pick WordPress › Blog Tool and Publishing Platform as the bedrock, then you'll have access to a GIANT community of WordPress gurus like WordPress Rockstar Showcase | WeRockWP.

There are 2 tasks needed to make it all custom. Architecture Mods (delivered via templates)
and adding fresh content (via Web Content Geeks)

It's well documented that WP has many content widgets to allow any over zealous dealer tinker to their hearts delight.

How do you maintain control (to prevent WP Guru failures) and create revenue? Make it a closed system & Copy the itunes model... Create gated access into the back end. Empower the WP community to build templates for the car dealer world. Template builders are everywhere: WordPress Templates | WordPress Themes (the templates in that example above SUCK for car dealers)

Our biz doest not fit the classic WP template. You'd need to build a white paper for the WP gurus to model against. Once a WP theme is approved by your team, it's made avail in your WP store. Allow dealers to rate the theme AND the theme builder.

After a theme has passed several installs and you have support from the Template builder, You award the template by certifying it.

THIS IS NOT NEWS. All of this is out there right now. The concept ultimate success comes from your "final authority" over all that goes on inside. You're creating and organizing an authorized WP community.

I've been watching it in the real estate biz for years WordPress › real estate « Tags « WordPress Plugins

Last edited:

This is what happens when a enough dealers complain that the leads don't get sent in with a phone number, address, VIN for service or something. Then a vendor forces it across the board with no settings? Whoops?

Whats funny is those dealers know they won't get as many leads and weirdly enough they don't want them unless all the info is provided... They are thinking about it wrong. They (most likely a service manager) are thinking about it like the leads are a nuisance because they have missing info and not about creating more opportunities as a whole.