• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Ipad for dealers...Pros vs. cons?

JesseJ

Boss
Mar 22, 2011
First Name
Jesse
Our GM is suddenly infatuated with the idea of getting an ipad for each salesman. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm looking over an article on the topic but it's from 2010. I just don't know how many apps there are at this point. I'm just hoping it wouldn't just turn into a glorified used car inventory list.

Your GM is wrong. No reason every single salesperson should have an iPad.
Tell him to get them laptops or netbooks see how much he argues he doesn't want those.
My point is, those can do the same thing, people don't need iPads, they "want" them.

Your GM is wrong. No reason every single salesperson should have an iPad.
Tell him to get them laptops or netbooks see how much he argues he doesn't want those.
My point is, those can do the same thing, people don't need iPads, they "want" them.
^^^ This ^^^

Hah I tend to agree with you. I was just curious if anyone had experience with them in a dealership.

<self-serving product plug> The press release went out today; vAuto’s RealDeal is now available for dealership sales teams to use on Android phones, as well as Apple’s iPhone and iPad. Far from a glorified used car inventory list, RealDeal helps a dealership standardize pricing delivery, give's customers detailed support for your price to reduce negotiation, and helps close more deals.

From the press release:
Based on the philosophy that “documentation is the new negotiation,”RealDeal is a market-based price validation and merchandising system dealers use to educate buyers on the factors behind a used vehicle’s asking price. It compares a vehicle’s condition, mileage, equipment and other price factors with similar/identical units available in the marketplace. Dealers who use RealDeal find it builds transparency and trust with customers, resulting in more sales and fewer discounts from asking prices.
</self-serving product plug>

My sense is there will be a growing number of tools available for iPad that will enable dealer staff to make a clearer, slicker, more professional presentation to shoppers on the lot.

Why should a customer that has been shopping on 21st century tools be forced into a 20th century buying experience as soon as they set foot on the lot?

Reactions: 1 person
My sense is there will be a growing number of tools available for iPad that will enable dealer staff to make a clearer, slicker, more professional presentation to shoppers on the lot.

Why should a customer that has been shopping on 21st century tools be forced into a 20th century buying experience as soon as they set foot on the lot?

I agree at some point that's what I hope happens.. But we are just not there yet unfortunately. I hope we'll soon have apps for everything, CRM, inventory, paperwork - digital, etc. Everything you could imagine so paper is a thing of the past. How cool would it be to write up a deal on the iPad using a digital pen, and have the customer sign all the papers on the ipad electronically! And it saves all that info, all the deal sheets, everything straight to the CRM. While you are on the lot you can have the customer type in all their info, it saves it in to the CRM, you can search the inventory, show customers options, colors, prices, etc. Without walking the lot.. Read their previous customer notes in the CRM, so while you are on the test drive, you can find out their hobbies, interests, buying habits, etc. And then connect with the customer on a new level..

We're onto something, but it's going to take a long long time before it's seamless.

I'm always using my iPad as a sales tool. With the eCarlist True Target app I'm able to show customers our price in the market very similar to the way Ed's RealDeal works. I also pull up NADA and KBB values to emphasize our value as well as show customers the CarFax and/or AutoCheck. It is a very easy way to put a lot of tools in your hands to be able to handle most customer objections or questions instantly.

I also use my iPad to appraise trades as well as sort/purchase vehicles through Manheim. Very soon you'll also be able to buy vehicles in lane 1 while being over in lane 7 at a Manheim auction or from your couch.

For me it's an invaluable tool but I use it constantly for dealership business. Not sure if every sales person would use it to its full capabilities.

Hey all, I work for Don Graff Automotive Consultants and you must check out IntellaCar!! This is not just an app but a complete sales enhancement tool. It takes your current sales process to the next level. It is not just OEM information but a much more robust software application. It has the capability to take a feed from your new and used inventory, able to make comparisons on vehicles right down to the trim level, create welcome to service videos, and much more. it also will connect your customer to Google reviews and Facebook to help your online reputation skyrocket. Check it out IntellaCar.

Reactions: 2 people