• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Embedding video's into eLeads1 e-mails?!?!

Jan 21, 2014
First Name
Luke
I am new to the automotive industry, I was brought on for my IT experience and business degree. Currently I am the BDC manager for Goodwin Motor Group in Maine. I have been tasked with creating the BDC, templated e-mails for agents to use, and improve the overall internet lead flow for the organization. My question, does anyone know how to embed videos into the eLeads1 e-mail system. I have tried everything it seems with no luck. I have decided to just insert a picture of a video window with the Play button being prominent in the middle. Now I just change the hyperlink to the video that I think will spark interest for the customer. However, it would be much more effective if the client would click on an embedded video and never leave the e-mail window. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Luke

Do this. This will get the traffic from the video curiosity to your website! then host the video on your website with a form and maybe some inventory on the page.
Bam, hopefully you just captured a lead.

Thanks! I think it will work well. We plan to host any videos on our dedicated youtube page. The page will have advertising banners based on the customers location and past browsing history. I think this will do the trick. Appreciate your input

Luke,

I used eLead for years and never had any issues including light HTML and graphics into the emails. Most of the WYSIWYG's built into the industry CRMs can be quite buggy and stubborn. I would have a few issues with the WYSIWYG in eLead when it came to table and cell alignment but a simple Copy and Paste of content would usually formatted out the way I needed.

I too would use an image/screen shot of the video (player) linked it to the page that hosted the actual video. I had a lot of success with the email campaigns that I would include the video image (increased CTR). Many campaigns included the specials videos that UnityWorks would produce for us and, I would also include a one of walkaround video shot using Authntk WalkAround video mobile app at times.

I can understand wanting to have the video play in the email but you're going to have many issues taking this route. Sending a video hosted on YouTube to a gmail account would perform the best due to gmail recognizing the YouTube video and allowing the video to play in gmail. But not everyone has a gmail account.

I would bet that most of the population recognizes when you click on a video within an email, it results in a new tab/browser opening up. Ultimately (depending on which device the email is read on) this can be the best route for overall performance and conversion - landing the consumer on a page where they can take action.

Whatever you do - don't forget about making sure your links, pages and video work and display properly on mobile devices. Over 50% of emails are being read on smart phones and tablets but yet most are formatted for mobile.

Luke,

I know I'm replying to a topic from the very beginning of the year, but I wanted to quickly share with you a few ideas as it relates to including video in email. I applaud you for your desire to do so. Had you read the same marketingsherpa study as us that noted 38% of marketers cited video content as "very effective" for mobile tactics?

As others including Jeff have noted, the best option to include video within email is to use a static image with a play button that when clicked will link to a new webpage with the video. I would encourage you to host the video on your website if at all possible. With GA's simple URL builder for campaigns it will be easy for you to keep track of page visits and therefore CTR of the email itself. Here are the instructions on how to do this:
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en

Here's a page within Acton Toyota's website that includes our Why Buy video. I'd encourage you to view the link on a mobile device to see how well it renders. Jeff's correct. More and more folks read email on their smartphones. Everything MUST render well on that device today.
Acton Toyota of Littleton | New Toyota, Scion dealership in Littleton, MA 01460

Presenting a Why Buy message through video as part of the CRM action plan/lead nurturing campaign has been highly effective for the dealership.

Also, speaking of action plan, I just submitted a lead and noticed your initial autoresponder starts with "Dear Customer,". You may want to inquire with eBizAutos about whether you can better personalize the greeting.

If you'd ever like to chat more about video in email, action plans, or anything else please feel free to reach out. Best of luck!

Ben