• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Apple CarPlay, Google and the Future of In Car Technology

Nov 4, 2012
First Name
Jessica
Apple CarPlay, Google and the Future of In Car Technology

The era of connected cars is officially well underway. Automotive and technology giants recently announced substantial partnerships that will pave the future of cars and technology. Today, Apple announced CarPlay, bringing its brand new in-car infotainment system to Honda, Mercedes, Volvo, Hyundai and Jaguar as well as a dozen committed partnerships from some of the largest manufactures in the automotive sphere. Google recently announced partnerships with GM, Audi, and Hyundai. Ford’s relationship with Microsoft revs up the continued adaptation of in-car apps with Microsoft’s SYNC system now in over 8 million vehicles.

What do you think is the future of in car technology. And, like we've mentioned before, who will be doing the education of this new technology.

Read the full article from Ben Anderson here

I will be honest I dont like the manufactures picking a OS, I am a Android guy so I would not look at something with Apple OS and a Apple guy would not look at a Google OS unless they are designed to function with either device which is what I would hope. I have a Dodge product now and since I carry a Iphone for work I can hook either it or my Android up to my system and it plays audio.

Jeremy, I'm the same way and I like my Android phone. I had an opportunity to look at the Uconnect system in the Dodge and it is the most intuitive system I have seen. It has a beautiful screen and is easy to set up. It literally blows away what I have seen in the Japanese cars.

I boycott apple. I will never drive a car with an apple OS or own anything apple.

Google will win this battle the same way they win they win their other battles... by having an opensource OS that will be available for all aftermarket companies to use and make better.

I boycott apple. I will never drive a car with an apple OS or own anything apple.

Google will win this battle the same way they win they win their other battles... by having an opensource OS that will be available for all aftermarket companies to use and make better.

I agree thats why I love Android. I just got done putting the new 4.4 KitKat on my Droid Razr they have not pushed it out yet but due to knowing a little I was able to put it on their. Not quite as easy on a iPhone.

From what I understand, iOS hijacks the touch screen in the vehicle. I imagine Google will take the same approach with Android. If the OEMs drop the ball on this, the aftermarket companies will pick it up from there. I see a lot of demand for this in not just new but existing vehicles.

I get the big a** display, but i don't understand touch screen controls in a car. They're asking for trouble.

Screen-shot-2014-03-03-at-12.33.37-PM-1024x503.png