• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Salesperson Branded Presence: Who's the Best?

JD Rucker

Give Away Artist
Feb 12, 2010
First Name
JD
We've been watching this growing over the last few years and now it seems to be hitting a tipping point.

We're even starting to get inquiries and frankly we don't know where to send them. Who's the best out there that maybe offers this type of training? Have you or do you know of someone that helps individuals at dealerships brand themselves properly?

What are some best practices that you have seen to be effective?

Rick, I cannot believe it's been 4 years since that case study. We've come so far, my friend, and it's been great to witness your transformation. I agree with you completely about working with Renee. The question, "What do you want?" is the root of all personal branding. It's the seed that grows the mighty tree. So many people have no idea. They think they know...but until you work with a coach, you have no real idea. It's an excavation into yourself and one must be ready for it.

In personal branding (and all branding, really) you gotta do the work and there are no shortcuts. I see so many peeps online starting to put themselves out there, marketing what they think is their personal brand. The result is tactics before strategy. People taking to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and more without knowing for sure who they are and what they want. Some of the results are painful to watch. AND, for one reason or another, they're not working in tandem with their dealership's brand (which of course is a subject close to my heart). Working with Renee allows you to really answer that question, "What do you want?" and design a solid strategy (life, work, content you create) for your personal brand.

PS: Hat tip to Ed Brooks for sharing that video!

Thanks for all the props everyone. There's no doubt I'm passionate about car people AND personal branding.

To Kathi's point - there are no shortcuts to developing a recognizable and profitable personal brand. Most Car People believe in the myth that branding is just about logos, pictures and websites. Nothing could be further from the truth.

For those who want to create an online presence without investing time and money in the personal brand discovery process - your best investment and most profitable ROI will be in capturing "reviews". If you're not going to dig deep and tell your own story - then by all means let your customers do it for you. Ryan Leslie and Kathi Kruse are masters of online reputation management.

If you feel having your own website is a "must", please make it a storytelling platform. There are 100,000,000 gazillion websites out on the web - if you don't differentiate your site using a compelling message; relevant to your visitors with content that will add value...then your website is just another website. The same goes for your Facebook page, your YouTube channel, etc.

FACT: ALL of your digital profiles (owned or otherwise) must be managed. If you build it, you better be prepared to show up there everyday. Consider the worldwide web as a digital version of your professional evidence manual.

Thanks Ed Brooks for the shout out, and for sharing UCR's video. You're freak'n fantastic too!

Reactions: usedcarricky