• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Video Pre-Roll stats

OK - thank you everyone for the feedback. Extremely helpful. I had been getting feedback from other dealers that it had really had an impact on their business, but now reading all of your replies I am wondering how that could even be measured. If it is high funnel / branding only, obviously that has to be treated / looked at in a different way and becomes more difficult to drill down to specific analyses showing ROI. Excellent point that people watching a video while sitting on their counch watching a football game during the TV ads. They are not likely to then spend a ton of time on the website, subitting lead forms etc. And since it then ultimately functions LIKE a cable TV ad (branding and awareness more than anything), I see your point SeanW. At least we can get that kind of action and all the eyeballs associated with it (we have definitely had sizeable views) but at a fraction of the cost. We don't do any TV ads at all. All this has made me rethink this advertising medium. I really appreciate everyone's comments. Sorry for the delayed response (-: Happy New Year to you all! Sorel

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Some additional food for thought - be sure to ask your Pre-Roll provider to DEFINE the KPI's in their reporting.

What exactly is and how is it being measured:

Partial Views/Impression
Video Completion View Rate
Clickthroughs
Cost per View
Cost per Click
Viewability

As the click-through rate is an important metric the completion rates how much of the video was watched. This is critical for understanding your campaign’s impact.

You may want to consider having the ability to purchase your ads by CPCV goals (cost per completed view.) This will allow your provider to your campaign that much more.

A newer metric you want to know about is the ads "Viewability" - which allows advertisers to track if your video ads are being watched vs. playing in the background or an inactive tab.

• Useful
Reactions: Alexander Lau
I haven't posted in a while, but I have been on both sides of the desk. Right now I happen to be on the vendor side. Our company does sell pre-roll (not a pitch at all). It absolutely is not a lead provider or even a click-thru product. If I am waiting to watch a video on the election or Cubs highlights, I am not going to click off to visit the dealer site.

Pre-roll has to be considered a top of the funnel, branding solution for the most part. The "great" part is that you get guaranteed eyeballs. When we take a client their report and it shows their video/commercial was viewed 15,000 times in their local market, that is strong branding at the top of the funnel. This is "standard" pre-roll, without any targeting at intenders.

Hope that makes sense, please feel free to message me if you have questions. I will always give you mu completely unbiased opinion.

@ajholland Great seeing you pop in for a few minutes. It's been a long time. Feel free to provide any advice around pre-roll that you see fit.

Wow Alex. I am here. On the phone madly trying to figure out why leads from a lead provider are not coming into our CRM. Been off most of the week, literally worked two hours all week. I will be back though. Hold your horses!!
I was joshing, but there are a lot of times where a user will post a question, with many quality responses and then silence from the poster. :)

BTW, I wouldn't have replied, in an attempt to help, if I were mean-spirited. LOL!

Last edited:
I was joshing, but there are a lot of times where a user will post a question, with many quality responses and then silence from the poster. :)

BTW, I wouldn't have replied, in an attempt to help, if I were mean-spirited. LOL!

Ahh, no worries Alexander. I always assume the best in people, just was uber time stressed getting some year end projects done. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond and help me. Thanks again! (-:

Some additional food for thought - be sure to ask your Pre-Roll provider to DEFINE the KPI's in their reporting.

Partial Views/Impression
Clickthroughs
Cost per View
Cost per Click
Viewability

As the click-through rate is an important metric the completion rates how much of the video was watched. This is critical for understanding your campaign’s impact.

You may want to consider having the ability to purchase your ads by CPCV goals (cost per completed view.) This will allow your provider to your campaign that much more.

A newer metric you want to know about is the ads "Viewability" - which allows advertisers to track if your video ads are being watched vs. playing in the background or an inactive tab.

Fantastic. Thanks Jeff. All good info!

Partial Views/Impression
Clickthroughs
Cost per View
Cost per Click
Viewability

I remember having to convince a dealer how important it was to look at 'Video Completion View Rate" or "VCVR". What good is a video if the view doesn't watch the entire piece. Granted, many of these videos are sadly, re-purposed commercials but they can still be effective for branding means. I believe Google still chops them as 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% in completion.

@Sorel , wondering how you're coming along with your video reporting and if you've made any decisions on Pre-roll for your dealership.

I wanted to add a few things since I too have been getting myself more dialed in on pre-roll and best practices.

Be sure to take note on the 2 "different" types of Pre-roll.

1. YouTube (and other video channels) Pre-Roll
2. YouTube TrueView Pre-Roll

What's the different?

Pre-roll - the more traditional pre-roll video ads that run before a regular video starts. Pre-roll ads are typically :15, :30, or :60 seconds in length, and ARE NOT SKIPPABLE. Viewers must wait until the ad plays all the way through before they can watch their chosen video.

TrueView Pre-roll - There are a couple different TrueView formats but the most popular is the In-Stream ads. These are closely identical to the traditional Pre-roll format, BUT In-Stream ads offer the option of SKIPPING the ad after letting it play for 5 seconds. Advertisers only pay when the viewer watches the ad for at least 30 seconds or to the end of the advertisement (whichever is shorter), or if the viewer clicks on another element of your ad.

Whis is better?

I don't know yet. Forcing someone to watch your video for 30 seconds or allowing them to skip on by it.

• Useful
Pre-roll - the more traditional pre-roll video ads that run before a regular video starts. Pre-roll ads are typically :15, :30, or :60 seconds in length, and ARE NOT SKIPPABLE. Viewers must wait until the ad plays all the way through before they can watch their chosen video.

TrueView Pre-roll - There are a couple different TrueView formats but the most popular is the In-Stream ads. These are closely identical to the traditional Pre-roll format, BUT In-Stream ads offer the option of SKIPPING the ad after letting it play for 5 seconds. Advertisers only pay when the viewer watches the ad for at least 30 seconds or to the end of the advertisement (whichever is shorter), or if the viewer clicks on another element of your ad.

Whis is better?

I don't know yet. Forcing someone to watch your video for 30 seconds or allowing them to skip on by it.

Here's the most up to date info on the different types of youtube advertising:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2467968?hl=en

Bumper ads are a fairly new type of video ad they released which I think could be effective for remarketing purposes.