• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Huge News - Facebook will no longer allow third-party data for targeting ads

Mar 21, 2012
Awards
First Name
Ryan
Has anyone heard about this?

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/28/...r-categories-ad-targeting-cambridge-analytica

Facebook will be shutting down ad targeting options that most of us car dealers use - Oracle, Epsilon, and Acxiom.

How will this affect the performance of ads and therefore dealers’ already reluctant willingness to allocate budget to Facebook?

Seems like a huge over reaction to the Cambrydge Analytical “scandal”

Just finished commenting on another thread about this. Huge news and could really kill the hyper-targeting that made FB ads so efficient and successful.

As I stated on the other thread, though...the press release said this was going to happen over the next 6 months. That's a long time to let this storm blow over and either bring it back under a new name or find/develop a new aggregating technique.

Agree wholeheartedly this is a huge over-reaction. Would you rather have targeted ads served up that could help with your specific shopping needs or go back to the days of unencumbered ROS spam?

Reactions: John W.
FB was a walled garden anyway - where's all that $$ going to go now, eh? They have no soul - how can they tell a 'vunerable' practice?

Watch what Wall St. does - that will be the tell. They were already losing the bottom end of their audience. If they shut down, then they must believe the patient is in life threatening condition.

Do you suppose that this is why Zuckernerd built walls around his compound in Hawaii?

I believe most agencies will just shift to buying the data directly through sources like Oracle and then upload it as a custom audience instead of being able to acquire it directly through Facebook's partner category. So for the average dealer it affects their ability to run certain types of ads effectively and may push them down the agency path.

Facebook definitely seems to be doing this solely to save face and for positive PR, knowing that it won't hurt their revenue from their larger advertisers because they can still acquire the same data elsewhere.

I believe most agencies will just shift to buying the data directly through sources like Oracle and then upload it as a custom audience instead of being able to acquire it directly through Facebook's partner category. So for the average dealer it affects their ability to run certain types of ads effectively and may push them down the agency path.

Facebook definitely seems to be doing this solely to save face and for positive PR, knowing that it won't hurt their revenue from their larger advertisers because they can still acquire the same data elsewhere.
Well, let's see how this all shakes up and what options are available. I give these guys about 18 months, before the wheels start completely falling of the wagon.