• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook Called. One of our employees was on a hate speech group...

So true, craigh. Things can get complicated in a hurry. Better have a plan! In doing my research on this highly charged situation (disgruntled employees, offensive employee behavior away from work, etc.), here is what I've learned: 1) companies need clear guidelines in their employee handbook regarding an employee's behavior during working and non-working hours (I recall handbook language along the lines of: "you represent the company both while at work and away....") 2) these policies need to be clearly communicated to the employees and signed off on; 3) in the event of and before an incident, consult with both your HR and legal teams to reduce risk and liability and to insure safety of employees 4) develop and implement a value statement that also provides customer feedback (which is an easy thing to include in your marketing and advertising today);here's Sonic's: https://www.sonicautomotive.com/our-culture-and-values.htm 5) if you have a social media or rep man vendor can they provide support 6) Keep a reputable PR company in your contact list in case the whole thing gets out of control 7) I wonder if some insurance policies cover loss of business 8) Some companies monitor their employee's social media activity; and, finally I like the idea of dealers' posting their community contributions either on a blog or on their website. This is a testament to a dealer's commitment to their customers and employees, past, present and future. This dealer does it right: https://www.brownscar.com/blog/index.htm. Thanks for reading this long response.
No offense, but these kinds of issues are tackled through a number of different scrubbing / reputation management tools. Are you proposing a solution or just stating the fact that this happens or do you have an ulterior motive in terms of offering your own product? Sorry, I'm just lost what you're trying to get at here. :)

Last edited:
I got a call from a colleague who is the marketing director of a large group and he said he got a call from both Facebook and Twitter stating that one of the dealer's employees was spouting hate speech on their platforms and that the person has been removed.

My friend removed the employee from their social sites, but the threads were already out. He said the owner wanted to immediately make a statement online. My friend was resistant.

What say you, dealers?

I sent out several emails to some social media vendors and only one responded with "we have not been in this situation." There are a lot of obvious serious legal and HR issues here (social media policies, training, HR, etc.), but what about the marketing side of things?

Not saying anything might look like the dealer condones (or is ignoring) the speech. Saying something might bring light to a subject that the buying public might not be paying attention to.

Quick question: was it truly hate speech or was it just things that someone didn't like, as a lot of social media platforms have been known to do (OMG! A Trump supporter: he must eat babies and kick puppies - RACIST! THROW HIM OFF TWITTER!). Second, was any of the so-called speech touting a connection to the business? Third, I have never heard of any social media platform contacting a business to inform on an employee using their platforms, for whatever reason. And if they did it's 100% grounds for a lawsuit because of the TOS and First Amendment ramifications.

So actually, I am very skeptical of the story from the start. That being said, any statement that ties any type of controversy to a business should be avoided. Whereas maybe just an extraordinarily small number of people may know that a connection exists, by introducing the issue to a wider audience you are courting disaster because now resources are spent confronting an issue that had not been an issue.

No offense, but these kinds of issues are tackled through a number of different scrubbing / reputation management tools. Are you proposing a solution or just stating the fact that this happens or do you have an ulterior motive in terms of offering your own product? Sorry, I'm just lost what you're trying to get at here. :)

No offense taken! I'm helping a friend and got fired up in that effort. No ulterior motives. No agenda. Just sharing.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Quick question: was it truly hate speech or was it just things that someone didn't like, as a lot of social media platforms have been known to do (OMG! A Trump supporter: he must eat babies and kick puppies - RACIST! THROW HIM OFF TWITTER!). Second, was any of the so-called speech touting a connection to the business? Third, I have never heard of any social media platform contacting a business to inform on an employee using their platforms, for whatever reason. And if they did it's 100% grounds for a lawsuit because of the TOS and First Amendment ramifications.

So actually, I am very skeptical of the story from the start. That being said, any statement that ties any type of controversy to a business should be avoided. Whereas maybe just an extraordinarily small number of people may know that a connection exists, by introducing the issue to a wider audience you are courting disaster because now resources are spent confronting an issue that had not been an issue.

Exactly! Which is why I wanted to get feedback.

Unless there is a screenshot or hard proof of said "hate speech" there should be nothing done. Too many snowflakes on the internet. Who knows what this person could have been offended by.

If there is actual proof and it somehow reflects poorly on the dealer group then action could be taken.

Unless there is a screenshot or hard proof of said "hate speech" there should be nothing done. Too many snowflakes on the internet. Who knows what this person could have been offended by.

If there is actual proof and it somehow reflects poorly on the dealer group then action could be taken.

I'm highly offended by your snowflake comment and I'm taking a screenshot for hard proof.

There really isn't much to do other than echo the sentiment of others on this thread.
  1. Did this person merely state they saw hate speech or did he or she screenshot it for verification?
  2. If yes and it genuinely poorly reflects on the dealership to continue their employ, then fire that person because the content would not align with their values. Since it was on their personal social media, I think it would be best to let sleeping dogs lie. Why make an official statement when the message didn't officially come from the dealer? It's inviting people to over-scrutinize to find reasons to make trouble online. The person's removal from the dealership should be a strong enough signal, and any public questions regarding him or the statement could be handled by saying they'll respond in a private message. The only dangers for the dealership would be treading lightly with how you address that person's removal because personnel files are confidential, so you'd have to be a bit nebulous like "A member of our team was removed for not aligning with our policies and values."
  3. If no, then let the person know privately of the situation, warn them, and hold a team meeting to go over the guidelines, expectations, and consequences -- then strictly follow them.
I do respectfully disagree that there would be grounds for a lawsuit. The First Amendment guarantees the right to free speech but not protection from the consequences of free speech. Purely for the purpose of providing an example that correlates to the discussion and regardless of what you think of the parties involved, you can simply refer to Twitter's, Youtube's, and other platform's permanent banning of Alex Jones. Now, if he's set to sue over First Amendment rights, then perhaps the SCOTUS would set a precedent that would make me wrong. I don't know of any existing precedent, but I'm happy to have anyone correct the record.