• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Ford Store, Anyone?

@ Alex - I agree that we need to look at our sites with fresh eyes -- Like a customer who only looks at dealer sites every few years...

@Andrew - ...But standing out sure doesn't hurt! My advice would be stand out, but not necessarily by "adding more". Remember that your customers are ON A MISSION. Make it easy for them. Inventory and pricing needs to be easy to get to and cluttered sites make it harder. I kinda think the moral of the Finishline story is "Content is King" getting pricing, descriptions, photos and videos right is HUGE.

@Joe - I'm sorry if I just sounded like Billy Fucillo above, but it is HUGE! Also thanks for answering your own question. You get more done in a day before I ever even sit at my desk!

@Andrew (again) - Thanks for pointing out that we play a part in Finishline's success, but again, they do a LOT of things right. I don't know if you are on with us (I don't know what store you're at), but if you want a free Pricing and Stocking Analysis give me a call or send me an email (commercial for my company done).
Most importantly, good luck in the position and enjoy the challenges!

Last edited:
Andrew, I may be your doppelganger. I also just stepped into a Ford group coming out of Honda. It sounds like that store is in the same situation this group was. I'm only 90 days in and there is most likely another 90 before I get things running. First step is to tie up loose ends, see what vendors are still getting paid but not doing anything, see how messed up the Dealer Connection sites are, etc. Good luck!

Just a quick update...

A good first couple of weeks....

Developing a new web site with HD dealer.

Got new ads written on all of the pre-owned cars.

Got a better setup for taking photos and an increase in the number of photos we get to 17 on used.

Got a Facebook fan page going with an inventory feed.

Bringing in V-Auto or similar pricing tool to help us make sure we are priced to market and increase the turn.

The sales staff now logs phone ups (novel concept, right?) and turns a copy of the log into the BDC(just me right now) for additional follow up.

Started listing pre-owned on Craigslist every day. In these two weeks so far we picked up 2 units off of craigslist.

Set up a Yelp page for reputation management. Hopefully do dealerrater later on when we have the budget.

After I get my GM to get us committed on V Auto, next step is to bring in a CRM and ILM. Looking at imagiclabs or vin solutions. I have demoed both. Store has a combination of too many free Ford systems and the dealer.com ILM. Info is scattered all over and can't be managed properly.

That's it for now. Hope everyone had a great July!

Just a quick update...

A good first couple of weeks....

Developing a new web site with HD dealer.

Got new ads written on all of the pre-owned cars.

Got a better setup for taking photos and an increase in the number of photos we get to 17 on used.

Got a Facebook fan page going with an inventory feed.

Bringing in V-Auto or similar pricing tool to help us make sure we are priced to market and increase the turn.

The sales staff now logs phone ups (novel concept, right?) and turns a copy of the log into the BDC(just me right now) for additional follow up.

Started listing pre-owned on Craigslist every day. In these two weeks so far we picked up 2 units off of craigslist.

Set up a Yelp page for reputation management. Hopefully do dealerrater later on when we have the budget.

After I get my GM to get us committed on V Auto, next step is to bring in a CRM and ILM. Looking at imagiclabs or vin solutions. I have demoed both. Store has a combination of too many free Ford systems and the dealer.com ILM. Info is scattered all over and can't be managed properly.

That's it for now. Hope everyone had a great July!

Great first weeks! Have you had a chance to sleep? I really like the comments on the pre-owned inventory. You were able to work on the emotion while still getting the priority options and equipment in front of the buyer. I see a dozen pictures on each vehicle. You can do up to 27 on ATC and more really is better.

I analyzed your pricing and there are some issues there as well as with your overall Market Day Supply. Good luck with your GM. Please let us know if we can help :)

Congratulations again - you've made great headway!

Has anyone actually found value in dealerrater?

Yes. It is a great tool that works like the old school evidence manual. When someone asks why they should buy from you or your dealership, and your DealerRater presence is good, DealerRater is a great third-party site to show. I got the impression DealerRater is more believable than that evidence manual.

Some leads do come from it as well.

When it comes to buying something consumers are looking for 3 things:

1. Price
2. Availability
3. Justification

DealerRater helps with number 3.