• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Need some help

Jason, I think you're being put in an awfully unfair position. Make a change without changing anything??? In reading all the above comments it would appear that no one has really addressed your question, so I'll do my best for you.

The only thing you can actually change that has no effect on the budget is the process. I'm not sure if you're talking about internet based email leads only, but lets assume you are. Who currently answers these leads? Who is managing what happens to those leads after they do come in? Do you have a solid follow up process in place for these leads? Just because lead volume is down, doesn't mean that you can't improve your close rate.

What I would tell your general manager is that after evaluating everything, you will not be able to produce MORE leads without altering the spend or getting an increase to the digital spend budget. You then tell him that your plan is to focus on selling more of the leads that do come in, as that is something that you do have control of. From there, show him your current internet lead close rate going back three months. Take whatever that number averages out to and add at least two percent. Ask him to give you the next three months to show him the new process is working and that you were able to deliver the improved close rate. More is not always better after all.

If you're unable to improve the close rate, and you can't get the GM to understand the importance of properly funding the internet department and/or digital advertising budget, I would then look to go to work for a dealer that does. You would be surprised how many dealers have no one looking out for the best interests of their digital advertising investments. If all of this sounds like too much, consider floor sales. Nothing about managing the digital side of the car business is easy.

Inferior conversion rates relative to other vendors?

If your PPC engagement and conversion rates are way down relative to other ad mediums, then whom ever is running your PPC campaign needs one warning to bring it up (30 days) and while that's happening, you'd want to ask to speak to a superior and let them know they're on 30 day watch.

BAM!
all better ;-)

p.s. You can get a free PPC audit to score the progress.

If your PPC engagement and conversion rates are way down relative to other ad mediums, then whom ever is running your PPC campaign needs one warning to bring it up (30 days) and while that's happening, you'd want to ask to speak to a superior and let them know they're on 30 day watch.

BAM!
all better ;-)

p.s. You can get a free PPC audit to score the progress.
I think it was quite obvious Chris was talking about the conversion ratio of the actual cobalt website not the ppc ads. Why send costly ppc traffic to an underperforming web platform? The ppc money could easily put to better use by upgrading to a better platform which will result in far more free organic traffic than the ppc traffic would ever garner. Cobalt websites are known to have far inferior conversion rates than other website vendors such as your Dealer.com. Stop trying to look for any opportunity possible to solicit on behalf of your son we don't need this to turn into ADM, just sayin'. Do agree on the warning idea though, ppc agencies tend to just set campaigns up and let them ride their course with little upkeep and need a kick in the rear end once in a while.

Stop trying to look for any opportunity possible to solicit on behalf of your son we don't need this to turn into ADM, just sayin'.

I'd be willing to bet that a grand total of ZERO out of Joe's 2474 posts (to date) have been solicitations for his son or any other vendor. I don't want to be rude or talk out of line - but Joe, Jeff, Alex, or any other mod have never used DR to promote self interests.

That comment reminds me of another board member with a letter-CAR screen name. Don't be THAT guy!

I know you are new to the community and hope that you stay an active member. This is the place where true professionals go to learn, bounce ideas off each other and HELP- not sell.

Reactions: 3 people
I'd be willing to bet that a grand total of ZERO out of Joe's 2474 posts (to date) have been solicitations for his son or any other vendor. I don't want to be rude or talk out of line - but Joe, Jeff, Alex, or any other mod have never used DR to promote self interests.

That comment reminds me of another board member with a letter-CAR screen name. Don't be THAT guy!

I know you are new to the community and hope that you stay an active member. This is the place where true professionals go to learn, bounce ideas off each other and HELP- not sell.

Thanks for your support Grant. I've asked asked Rcar to fill out his profile with legit info or risk being moderated.

Back to the conversation.

rcar really? Think before you post.

Take your years of car experiences and become a thought leader here to help every reader find new ways to sell more cars.

Focus on content that'll get you your 1st like. If it won't produce a like, don't post it. Establish yourself 1st, THEN drop bombs on me :)

If you re-read Chris's post, it's a snap shot of how he's dealing with rising PPC costs compounded by a vendor he feels converts poorly. PPC is an auction based system, THIS IS A UNIVERSAL PROBLEM for everyone. My advice works with any vendor (ours incl'd).

PPC managers are critical to the accounts ROI. An active PPC manager (that's getting bitched at ;-) should roll up their sleeves and chop out all PPC activity that has low ROI.

That being said, how does ANYONE know if the PPC vendor is is delivering a A+ effort or a D-?
--How deep is the negative keyword list? (example: wiper blades, spark plugs, floor mats, owners manuals, etc)
--Are ALL ads pointing to the most relevant landing pages (a key component in higher QS which creates lower bid costs)

--and on and on...

HTH
Uncle Joe
Will work for Likes ;-)

Speaking of poor conversions, (@Ryan_dealergeek, this one's for you ;-)

Answer this riddle:
If 80% of all buyers were on your website prior to purchase, yet, only 3% of all visitors submit a lead, then why do we obsess about the minority?

Answer:

Because we can see leads, not shoppers.
IOW, because we can see leads, we use that as THE most important performance metric.

Uncle Joe Rule #47:
Leads are important, but, Dealer's should not obsess on lead gen as a ultimate measure of ROI.

My 5 years and 20,000+ surveys at delivery told me:
Leads: 17% of ALL sales came from leads
Engagement: 58% of ALL sales were at UCK.com 3 times or more prior to purchase.

Every store is different. Build your own survey at delivery is easy (see thread here), you can build one yourself easily using any number of online survey builder vendors. Once you've pulled in a few hundred surveys, you'd know more about the shopping behavior of those damn invisible shoppers.

Once you discover some high level behaviors, ask your digital marketing team set up engagement metrics as a conversion goal in Analytics (i.e. # VDPs viewed, # return visits, TOS, etc).

For example, if your site averages 4 VDPs per visit, then YOU choose what you believe is a productive car shopping visit (3 VDPs?). Then a visit with 3 VDPs or more is a conversion. Don't forget to break out a bucket for highly engaged repeat visitors that are quick checking to see if what your new arrivals look like (this group is HOT!)

HTH

Reactions: 3 people