• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Most Single Day Traffic EVER Across all websites

Could the traffic have anything to do with consumer confidence ?

The auto industry is having a banner year and it looks like sales are up for nearly every manufacturer, other than Honda.

How many cars will be sold this year ? 18 million ?

Because huge spikes in dealership website traffic have no correlative and or predictive impact on showroom traffic expectations. People just go to Dealership websites without any intention of buying the products showcased or coming in for service.

On the other had yours (and every DP's in my PMA+) ignorance is absolutely my bliss! So actually KEEP IT UP!

I recently purchased a new Accord.

I was on the dealer website so much that DealerOn put up a notice saying I was on their website to much.

Dan- What was the quality of the increased traffic - did they view VDP's and multiple pages? Do you filter out bot/web crawler services in Analytics so your data is clean? Was there an improperly functioning ad campaign that caused this increase in traffic?

I have a Client that had a large media company execute a banner display ad campaign that resulted in a 4x increase in traffic to his site. The vendor said that is was due to his ad campaign running during a highly visited week...i.e. Auto Show week. I knew better, it was due to an improperly functioning ad unit that had a Close button that didn't close the ad, but it sent those Close clicks directly to his site. Resulting in a 99.999% bounce rate.

Dan,

First of all, congrats on the rapid incline! Not sure why you are getting hate, as most everyone knows the value of quality traffic and I doubt you need education in that department and is impossible to correlate to sales this early on.

I am curious though, did your quality indicators stay roughly the same? Bounce rate, pages/session, time on site, etc.? And if you use Dataium, did your search to visit and lead to visit stay the same?

Reactions: 1 person
Yesterday, is a day I'll likely mark off as a major milestone in my career. Every one of our stores witnessed record single day traffic. Awesome right? But the funny thing is that we didn't really change anything and we saw almost 3X the traffic over last year... here's an example:

View attachment 2150

Congrats! The blue line is looking pretty good for you. The screenshot shows "sessions" so I assume that includes all traffic sources. To echo what others are asking were you able to draw a correlation between the increase in traffic and an increase in KPI's that are important to you?

1.) Google/CPC
2.) Google/Organic
3.) Specials Page (Internal UTM campaign)

Are my top 3 traffic producers (across the board) CPC did seem to be performing better than ever from July 28 - 31. Maybe the competition ran out of funds... We sold 199 as an organization over that time period. Modest but still decent for a Thursday month close.

So do expect to see a correlation in sales? In other words do you think the traffic boost is going to CAUSE a 3X lift in sales? - Correlation does not imply causation and in this case there may not even be a correlation.

Hey Ed - No I wouldn't ever necessarily expect that kind of lift but I have seen that when more than the an average month's worth of users explore my website, when the majority stay on it for more than 7mins, when the majority view 10 or more pages, when they view our on-site reviews more than a typical month, and or hours and directions page typically indicates that we're going to have an exceptional month in comparison to months where we have seen less of these KPIs.

Dan,

First of all, congrats on the rapid incline! Not sure why you are getting hate, as most everyone knows the value of quality traffic and I doubt you need education in that department and is impossible to correlate to sales this early on.

I am curious though, did your quality indicators stay roughly the same? Bounce rate, pages/session, time on site, etc.? And if you use Dataium, did your search to visit and lead to visit stay the same?

Our Email Lead generation during peak traffic time period were up roughly 10-12% over last year across all stores.

Regardless congrats. I would check your cpc traffic YOY and see which campaigns contributed to the growth and drill down to the KPI's that matter most to you.

Then, take a look @ organic referrals from WMT. You prb saw this Pigeon: Search Engine Land's Name For The New Google Local Search Update which was aimed at local queries on July 24. You might find a few organic golden nuggets that came through for your dealerships.

Lastly, if you haven't already done so, read this https://twitter.com/trumanhedding/status/494959973772705792. Study from Groupon shows up to 60% of "Direct" traffic is actually Organic. That's why I suggested you look @ WMT.