• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How much do you spend on attracting one car buyer?

I would bet that most are in the "over $400" category, in digital alone, and if they believe themselves to be below it, its primarily due to a lack of accurate accounting into their actual monthly spend.

Between paid search, paid social, email blasts, retargeting, display, 3rd parties (cargurus, autotrader, cars.com, truecar, etc), direct mail campaigns, TV, radio, billboards. I would bet the true cost to attract a single buyer to routinely be above $400/ person. However, this is only one side of it, as cost per vehicle sold is entirely different from the cost per average car buyer, as not all buyers show up for appointments and even ones that show up, dont all buy a car.

I would bet that most are in the "over $400" category, in digital alone, and if they believe themselves to be below it, its primarily due to a lack of accurate accounting into their actual monthly spend.

Between paid search, paid social, email blasts, retargeting, display, 3rd parties (cargurus, autotrader, cars.com, truecar, etc), direct mail campaigns, TV, radio, billboards. I would bet the true cost to attract a single buyer to routinely be above $400/ person. However, this is only one side of it, as cost per vehicle sold is entirely different from the cost per average car buyer, as not all buyers show up for appointments and even ones that show up, dont all buy a car.
Thanks for the answer. And how much does it cost for one sale on auto marketplaces (3rd parties (cargurus, autotrader, cars.com, truecar, etc))?

Thanks for the answer. And how much does it cost for one sale on auto marketplaces (3rd parties (cargurus, autotrader, cars.com, truecar, etc))?
I think you should investigate those providers directly, as it sounds like you are looking to develop a product to compete with them.
It would be hard to have a "better mouse trap" if you dont know anything about the existing ones.

Reactions: Mric1
The best dealers in the country are hitting below $150. Vast majority of dealers paying well above $500. If you're less than $50, you're a unicorn and I want to talk to you lol
Thanks for the answer. We are making a new auto marketplace and it is interesting to know how much money dealers in auto marketplaces spend approximately per customer?

I think you should investigate those providers directly, as it sounds like you are looking to develop a product to compete with them.
It would be hard to have a "better mouse trap" if you dont know anything about the existing ones.
This is an interesting idea, but on their side, I won’t find out what their average bill is, they won’t tell me for sure, I just can understand what tools they provide and how much they cost.

Although I can apply an approximate conversion rate to these tools and get a check, I need to study again)

Do I understand correctly that auto dealers place their databases and pay more than one auto marketplace?

This is an interesting idea, but on their side, I won’t find out what their average bill is, they won’t tell me for sure, I just can understand what tools they provide and how much they cost.

Although I can apply an approximate conversion rate to these tools and get a check, I need to study again)

Do I understand correctly that auto dealers place their databases and pay more than one auto marketplace?
If you're only drawing that conclusion now, after the multiple answers you've gotten so far, you should probably take a few steps back in your research phase.

If you're only drawing that conclusion now, after the multiple answers you've gotten so far, you should probably take a few steps back in your research phase.
I contacted marketplaces before. Those who answered, without a dealer license (many said, let's get a dealer license, then we will discuss), they told me about the cost of a lead or subscription, but they could not say how many clicks to my site, how many leads are needed to buy a car . They do not have average information, most likely they conduct some kind of in-depth interviews with dealers and find out from them. But they do not have access, those who answered me, to the dealers' internal CRM to understand that the conversion worked and brought the sale. Therefore, I decided to focus on dealers, they know how much a lead costs and how much they need to sell a car.

Reactions: Ebenn

This answer is correct.
Especially the first sentence.
It sucks, but go through your books over the last 3 years and you'll see it mostly true.

Reactions: ASuave and Mric1