• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Marketing Opt Out

Brad Burlingham

Skate Alert
May 28, 2009
Awards
First Name
Brad
We are a dealer group with multiple vendors doing marketing outreach for us (elead, automastermind, impel, mailchimp, weststates, etc). I'm curious how other dealer groups are handling marketing opt outs. Are you getting monthly reports from your vendors and manually opting them out at all the other channels? We use comply auto for data opt out, but dont really have a solid process for marketing opt outs among all of our marketing channels.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
Most DMS systems have an opt-out label that can be passed to the vendors consuming that data. The PITA is getting the opt-outs from those other vendors. Of those vendors you've listed eLead is the only one who may be able to pass something like that back to CDK. Mailchimp* certainly isn't going to integrate with an automotive business system. And some of the others would have to pay a significant amount to push data to the DMS. CDK has switched everyone to Fortellis and the cost difference between batch and "real-time" feeds is significant... which is understandable.

*Mailchimp and their competitors hate car dealers. I have looked at outsourcing mail delivery to them in the past and they flat out said dealers are some of the biggest spam offenders. They don't want anything to do with them on an enterprise level.

Reactions: Dan Sayer
*Mailchimp and their competitors hate car dealers. I have looked at outsourcing mail delivery to them in the past and they flat out said dealers are some of the biggest spam offenders. They don't want anything to do with them on an enterprise level.
Because dealers still haven't realized bulk email blasts are dead :rip:

View attachment 8368

Dealers: It's 2024, bulk email blast campaigns are long dead.​

For the last decade as marketers, we've all been familiar with this recurring request: "We need to drum up some extra business and get the word out to the masses, let's send an email blast!"

While this tactic may still work (for now) for customers with AOL and Yahoo email addresses, it's been largely ineffective for Gmail and Hotmail users for years, you probably just haven't realized that your campaigns have been going straight to spam.

And considering Gmail users constitute 65% of our customer database, that's a huge chunk of your audience to miss out on.

Simply ticking off the email best practice checklist — having a warmed-up IP, dedicated sending domain, DKIM, SPF, DMARC, avoiding spammy content, and including unsubscribe links — isn't enough.

One of the primary signals Gmail and other providers use to determine whether an email should land in the inbox is recipient engagement. Are users opening your emails, clicking on links, etc?

That's a tough signal to succeed with when you're sending email blast campaigns to thousands of customers at once, no matter how "targeted" you believe your list is.

The issues plaguing bulk email blast campaigns are extensive:
  • They're not timely, often only sent when you find the time once or twice a month.
  • They're not relevant, targeting too broad of audiences with too many recipients.
  • They show no creative variation, using too few templates or campaigns, leading to email fatigue.
  • They lack contact sunsetting rules, continuing to send to people who have never opened or clicked any of your past emails.
  • They fail at tracking engagement by email provider and campaign, not adjusting strategy based on open and click rates.
All these issues lead to low email open rates, which translates to low click rates, and this will ultimately cause all your emails to go straight to spam moving forward. From there, it's a tough road to recovery.

But I get it, sending bulk email campaigns is easy. You export a giant list, throw together a quick email template, and click send. The bigger the audience, the better! And you might even see great initial results from an untapped database. However, email providers catch on quickly, it's not the wild west of email anymore.
So, what's the solution?

Highly targeted and triggered email sequences based on detailed customer behavior.

Platforms like Klaviyo, Braze, ActiveCampaign, and Intuit Mailchimp all offer the sophisticated tools needed for email marketing today.

Here's how they differ:
  • They're timely, creating super targeted audience segments with automatic entrance and exit criteria. No more waiting for once a month bulk campaigns.
  • They're relevant, allowing you to dynamically personalize each email to truly resonate with the recipient by moving users through targeted audience segments based on their email, website, and CRM activity.
  • They offer creative variation, preventing email fatigue with targeted audience segments plus dynamic personalization and email journey sequencing.
  • They include contact sunsetting rules, creating engagement tracks to avoid over-sending emails to users who aren't engaging.
  • They involve tracking engagement by email provider and campaign, allowing for quick strategy adjustments before you end up in spam forever.
But there are significant challenges to moving towards this strategy in automotive retail.

Syncing your email marketing platform with CRM and DMS data is critical to ensure customers are always in the correct segment for relevant messaging.

And unfortunately that's not easily possible with the majority of automotive vendors currently, which underscores the need for CRM and DMS providers to offer robust API connections so dealers can activate their customer data effectively.

@brianpasch has been helping push the industry in this direction by advocating for customer data platforms, now we just need vendors to continue to make in-roads in this regard.

It's 2024, and we need email marketing strategies that reflect our times.

As @Ryan Everson pointed out, bulk email campaign performance has taken a big dive over the last several years. I didn't want to believe it but the stats weren't lying. With that said, it's still a cheap ad medium and unless you're paying someone for design/management, it doesn't take much for a green ROI. I also believe it could be dependent on your demographics and customer base. Even with the drop in performance, it still made sense to keep it in the marketing arsenal. Creeping into the older demographic myself, I still engage with email marketing - I'd miss my 15-20 minute morning dream-routine if I no longer received my daily email from Bring a Trailer.

Thanks for reminding me -> Bulk email blasts don't work!

@Brad Burlingham at this point it's STILL a manual process to unsubscribe clients from the 6+ messaging / marketing services.

Reactions: Brad Burlingham
I'd miss my 15-20 minute morning dream-routine if I no longer received my daily email from Bring a Trailer.
Air-cooled Porsches, Land Cruisers, 1st Gen Tacoma's, and Volvo 240's lol

@Brad Burlingham this is an area that needs our attention as well but I do know we've gone through the exercise of gathering up all vendors that touch lifecycle. Laid them out to understand the timing of each one, message type, and control branding and then narrowed down the vendors that are crossing paths with other channels we have. We'd end the OEM ones so we can control all lifecycle messaging but they make it hard with exclusive lists (Ford private offers, etc) and co-op.

We're increasing emails coming from our CRM because it's nice for salespeople to see the marketing email within the customer's activity timeline. "I see you were sent the March offers email on the F-150" is great to add to a reply on a new web lead from an existing customer. At this point DriveCentric is fairly limited on reporting for email compared to MyEmma or the like. We're still in the gathering data process since we are new on the platform. There is probably opportunity for them to expand that offering. No, no one talks to anyone else if a customer opts out of one channel...

I'm surprised nobody has brought this up yet.

Post cards

These things stick around in my drawers while I'll block texts and email if you spam me from your crm that I didn't opt into. I might have stopped by to check out a car but I don't want to be getting an email from your crm 3 months after I stopped at your dealership. What good is that?

Snail mail is still king. Add a coupon on it and I'll be even more likely not to throw away your effort. I have a post card for a local bar/grill that is supposed to have good burgers. That coupon is 6 months expired. It's still on my fridge.

Can email do this?

Reactions: Alex Snyder
I'm surprised nobody has brought this up yet.

Post cards

These things stick around in my drawers while I'll block texts and email if you spam me from your crm that I didn't opt into. I might have stopped by to check out a car but I don't want to be getting an email from your crm 3 months after I stopped at your dealership. What good is that?

Snail mail is still king. Add a coupon on it and I'll be even more likely not to throw away your effort. I have a post card for a local bar/grill that is supposed to have good burgers. That coupon is 6 months expired. It's still on my fridge.

Can email do this?
My email provider charges $0.0003 per email delivered.

Our lovely government charges $0.53 for postage and then add in another ~$0.10 for printing.

That means I can send 2,100 emails for every 1 post card you send.

I believe you might also be the exception to the rule - everyone I encounter typically discards any "junk" mail immediately.

That being said, I do believe direct mail can still be effective when used strategically. For example, using something like Lob to programmatically send targeted direct mail to segmented audiences.

The key to postcards (and I agree postcards > over regular mail) is the targeting. Traditionally, dealers will spend $10,000 on a single mailer, which is a spray-and-pray strategy. Little time is spent culling the list of customers to target.

When postcards are part of a flow for a specific message to a specific customer at the right time, they are fairly inexpensive as a line item on the budget. Most of our dealers utilizing postcards within their equity communication flow are spending less than $500 monthly. They're also getting a very engaged customer off of them.

Tracking is also key. Without a clear call to action (QR codes are perfect for this) you're just hoping someone walks in holding the thing up. With a smart call to action that customers can do as soon as they get the postcard, you can embed tracking code in it and know exactly who they are. This is what we do. It ain't rocket science, but it works well!

Reactions: Ryan Everson
The key to postcards (and I agree postcards > over regular mail) is the targeting. Traditionally, dealers will spend $10,000 on a single mailer, which is a spray-and-pray strategy. Little time is spent culling the list of customers to target.

When postcards are part of a flow for a specific message to a specific customer at the right time, they are fairly inexpensive as a line item on the budget. Most of our dealers utilizing postcards within their equity communication flow are spending less than $500 monthly. They're also getting a very engaged customer off of them.

Tracking is also key. Without a clear call to action (QR codes are perfect for this) you're just hoping someone walks in holding the thing up. With a smart call to action that customers can do as soon as they get the postcard, you can embed tracking code in it and know exactly who they are. This is what we do. It ain't rocket science, but it works well!
Agreed, and it's so much easier to sending 1-to-1 direct mail postcards nowadays! Many email platforms even offer automated direct mail post cards as an add-on to add within your email sequence flows.

Much like bulk email blasts are dying (due to email providers sending offenders straight to spam), bulk direct mail campaigns are also dying (due to expense and changing consumer behavior - with subprime being one of the few exceptions).

Reactions: Alex Snyder