• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Is there a good Sell My Car tool for my website?

twill

Green Pea
Feb 6, 2024
Awards
First Name
Trevor
Is there a great "sell my car" tool for dealer websites? CarMax's tool that generates an offer in minutes is fantastic and I'm looking for something along those lines. Every third party product I've seen for dealers pales in comparison. Surely there must be a decent product on the market?

@twill we use AutoHub which is white labeled with the KBB licensing logo that shoppers like to see. We use the Trade Widget which converts at an excellent rate as well as some of their remote trade and service drive tools. They’re simple effective and priced right. Perhaps they’d be good to speak with about using their tools within a custom framework for the look and flow you’re chasing. Message me and I’ll connect you with their founder.

Reactions: twill
I think the tool is good, but I'm not sure how comfortable dealers are giving cash offers on vehicles they may or may not want to acquire. Maybe there's some fine print on CarMax's site about this, but CarMax will take anything. The tool itself, though, isn't very difficult to build.

Our trade tool is built into our site. We've had more success with it than we did with the 3rd party tool on our old website. I believe it's because the tool is simple and blends in well with the site. That's what I would look for in your search for a trade tool.

Last edited:
Mobile experience. The CarMax mobile experience is fantastic. KBB/ICO is pretty good. Accu-Trade is the weakest of the three, IMO.
"Mobile experience"? What does that mean?

My bad, allow me improve the question. Shopping is a task, car shoppers have a job to do. Agreed?

twil, Identify the tasks you want to assist the shopper in completing -online-.

Next, using the task completion narrative, tell us how CarMax's mobile experience is more task completion friendly than KBB and Accutrade.

I would love to know the conversion metrics of their Sell/Trade tool. Just because it's prettier doesn't directly relate to its conversion success. It's the "20Group lie". We look at someone doing better than us (on paper) and figure everything they're doing is better than us. That's how half of the snake oil vendors get new clients!

To @joe.pistell 's point, @twill how are you basing your desire to have a tool like CarMax's? Are you convinced that tool is what drives their success or does it have something to do with their brand, their customer experience, etc? Chasing shiny objects without attention to process and people will just result in blaming the shiny object and then moving on to a shinier object. Ask me how I know. :(

I'm not dismissing the tools that DO greatly enhance a process and have a high conversion because of how they're designed. Those are important considerations. I'm just asking how you know that CarMax has the "best" tool? There are sooo many approaches to "Sell you car". Unless we have the data, it is hard to say which tool works better than the other. Look at the range of approaches...which one converts visits to leads at the highest rate? I have no idea. Do you?

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 1.37.41 PM.png

Reactions: Carsten