• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

1994 Today Show - "What's the Internet?"

wow. sick. Talk about the wayback machine.

Where We You in 1994?

I had just sold 2 businesses and was looking for my next adventure. I was paying AOL $400 a month to get on at 14k baud. To get to the internet, you had to leave AOL, the AOL gateway to the net was OMG slow! I was a self-employed Stock Trader, doing research trying to figure out how to pay the rent. I had an account with Ceres Securities (Now called Ameritrade). Back then, if you were doing financial research, you could see every financial research site in 2 weeks (at 14kilo bytes per sec) Real time stock quotes and charting didnt exist. I bought a big ass data dish and streamed real time data right from wall street into a dedicated PC that crunched data.

Back in the day...

I had just purchased my first real PC from the local comp store. Somehow was approved for financing...

Jumped on Prodigy and joined several music industry news groups. Got the hook up on clubs, events and music. This was when I was rocking the TT's.

Funny video. "@"

Was the the TiVo of the 90's ... set up your video camera and have the kids tape your shows when you weren't home?

I traded my Amiga 4000 for a Pentium 100 PC. My Dad was on Prodigy, and I jumped on AOL.. I think my AOL bills were $300. Then I got a remote position with an AOL content provider and was comp my account. Until the flat-rate came in effect. I also had Compuserve, I think.

If I knew then what we know now, I'd be the scariest 11 year old kid I can think of.

I was also deeply enjoying my 9th year of utilizing a command prompt (I hated Windows 3.1) and working on putting together my first round of "upgrades" to my hand me down full tower IBM (whose ancient, Eldritch specs escape me).

I went without internet service until 1995; until then, it was all-you-could-carry 3.5" diskettes for me and my steel companion.