• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

24 Hour Test Drives

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
Do you offer 24 Hour Test Drives?

In this touchless selling world, I'm thinking that 24 Hour Test Drives maybe a way to make productive sales relationships. I'm thinking that it'll create higher closing rates.

Shoppers would love the personalized experience.
Do you offer it? If yes, do you promote it? Thoughts?

Reactions: Chris Cachor
In theory it's great, but the reality is sales managers want to close deals today, not tomorrow. Case in point, just a few days ago my buddy went to my Old Nissan dealer and took a 24/hr test drive in a 2020 Sentra and they gave him 'round about numbers". I called my GM buddy at another Nissan store and told him what my buddy wanted, please send a quote. Needless to say, the 24/hr test drive was returned, and the other dealership is now getting the sale. Why? Better #'s, not the fact the test drive sold them on the car. They forgot car buyers are high intent buyers and NOT loyal.

We continue to do overnight test drives. One of the concerns I've always heard with overnight's (besides insurance) is that customer's take them and try to find reasons NOT to buy rather than to buy. We have not found that to be true. We are a smaller dealer, so I'm not sure how everything would shake out for a higher volume dealer.

I hate to be vague with an opinion on something like this @BillKVMotorCo , but I believe the success or failure of an overnight test drive boils down to the customer and the process.

The overnight test drive is something that we will use as a last resort, and even then the customer needs to be saying and doing all of the right things to warrant us being willing to allow it. We don't use the overnight to overcome objections, we use it to confirm what the customer is already leaning toward.

I much prefer the customer picking up the vehicle at lunch time (or whenever), driving it back to work, picking up the kids from school, heading over to the grocery store, and bringing it back at 5:00 the same day. I have found this customer much less likely to take advantage of the situation.

On a side note, NOTHING pisses me off worse than a customer taking my car to other dealerships while shopping.

Reactions: ChrisR
... I believe the success or failure of an overnight test drive boils down to the customer and the process.

The overnight test drive is something that we will use as a last resort, and even then the customer needs to be saying and doing all of the right things to warrant us being willing to allow it. We don't use the overnight to overcome objections, we use it to confirm what the customer is already leaning toward.

100% agree with all of this.

Reactions: Tallcool1
On a side note, NOTHING pisses me off worse than a customer taking my car to other dealerships while shopping.

LOL -- as a salesperson, I used to LOVE to do this while on a test drive WITH the customer --- Comparing to a Nissan? Let's take this over there right now and compare the two!

Showed confidence in my product. And to be honest, in my 8 years selling on the floor, had less than a dozen customers take me up on the offer.

Reactions: Tallcool1

Funny story, a customer once told me he had a trade (it was another dealership's SUV while on test drive) - When my used car manager got out to see it, he noticed the dealer plate (not sure how you call these in English, it's an "X" plate here) with the wrapper... Can't make this stuff up. This thought still makes me laugh to this day.