• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

9 pics per vehicle??

I wanted to chime in to offer a few more details on the research. First and foremost, it is important to note that this research is solely based on top of the funnel, marketplace behavior. We did not look at the behavior of consumers on dealer sites, which typically represents a shopper deeper in the funnel.

If you haven’t had a chance to read the entire whitepaper, I’d encourage you to download it here: http://bit.ly/UsedCarShopper2015. One might assume that the fewer images you have, the more leads you will receive as consumers will want more information. However, at this stage of the buying process, consumers are more apt to simply move onto the next vehicle vs. digging into one without a lot of detail. The flip side of this is also true. As image count increases, consumers tend to lose interest. Here are some of the specific results:

Lead conversion rate of vehicles with 9 images vs 0, 20 and 30.
- 50% higher lead submission rate than those without any images.
- 56% higher lead submission rate than those with 20 images.
- 71% higher lead submission rate than those with 30 images.

Since this research was published, we did additional work to understand which images were more important to a consumer. The hypothesis is that consumers are simply getting frustrated looking at a bunch of images that aren’t as relevant given their point in the purchase funnel. One interesting finding is that the cockpit/center console image is the second most important, as ranked by consumers. Unfortunately, the way pictures are typically taken and processed results in this critical view being placed 15-25 pictures into the photo stack.

Given the research our recommendations are as follows:
- Recognize that top of funnel shoppers are scanned, not deep diving, and ensure your pictures are sorted appropriately. Forcing a consumer to look through 20+ pictures to get to the second most important one is a losing proposition.
- You should absolutely use all of your images on your own sites as consumers are typically deeper in the funnel and do want all of that detail. If you decide to push all of your images to the marketplaces (which often comes at an increased cost and can be avoided), be sure they are optimally sorted.

Great info Chad. Very interesting.

At a higher level, I'm stuck on how a lead submission has a very high value to dealers vs it's lower value to the car shopper. I find that many 'leads' to car dealers are caused by a gap in information in the shopper can't find (e.g. "is this car still avail?, do you have one in blue?, would you take a lower offer?, does this have the tow package?, etc.)

Thoughts?
Joe

I'm in the skeptic boat here.
When our stores went from 12 images to 25 images on AutoTrader.ca the leads went up at least 25%
I'm sure there were other factors at play, but month over month and year over year there was an obvious spike when the change happened.

I don't think customers suffer from image fatigue and I don't think this data makes any sense.
Having 40 images doesn't stop them from clicking CTAs, they can stop looking at photos at any time.

There's clearly some data missing here though.
  • What was vehicle quality like? Maybe more photos in the sample data was revealing more defects
  • What was the photo order like? What if they put important photos up front and had the other 25 behind those?
  • What was the photo quality like? Were customers frustrated because the quality of the photos was poor enough that the photos weren't helpful?
  • Was this affected by the way the third party website displayed the photos? Did different third party sites have different results?

Lead conversion rate of vehicles with 9 images vs 0, 20 and 30.

Can you define "lead submission rate" @Chad Bockius ?
I'm curious what exactly that's referring to.
Leads per vehicle? Leads per day? Probability of receiving a single lead?

Craig,

Let me give you some additional data that might help.

We analyzed over 500K different listings for this particular analysis. So while it is possible one or two dealers did not provide high quality images, it would be considered noise for this analysis given the large volume of data points examined. Additionally, given the large set of vehicles, we had a great distribution of varying vehicle quality, types and price ranges. The sites analyzed all use a photo carousel and no behavior change was noticed given the similar approach.

You do hit on what I believe is the most important part, which is image order. As I mentioned above, not all photos are created equal in the eyes of the shopper. Top of funnel shoppers are far less committed to a particular vehicle and putting high value photos, like the cockpit/dash view late in the stack is inevitably going to frustrate the consumer.

I wish you all the best in your digital marketing efforts!

-Chad

I'm in the skeptic boat here.
When our stores went from 12 images to 25 images on AutoTrader.ca the leads went up at least 25%
I'm sure there were other factors at play, but month over month and year over year there was an obvious spike when the change happened.

I don't think customers suffer from image fatigue and I don't think this data makes any sense.
Having 40 images doesn't stop them from clicking CTAs, they can stop looking at photos at any time.

There's clearly some data missing here though.
  • What was vehicle quality like? Maybe more photos in the sample data was revealing more defects
  • What was the photo order like? What if they put important photos up front and had the other 25 behind those?
  • What was the photo quality like? Were customers frustrated because the quality of the photos was poor enough that the photos weren't helpful?
  • Was this affected by the way the third party website displayed the photos? Did different third party sites have different results?
Good points. Also price range of car? Listing site package type? I just think there are too many other unknown factors for this stat too have any weight. Screenshots below are top of page searches for same type of car, only sorted by price both ways. Anyone can guess which ones will get more action, there's no consistency with merchandising, looks like listing different packages also affect the position and features (# of images shown vs. not), etc.

upload_2015-10-1_12-3-32.png

--

upload_2015-10-1_12-7-58.png

The analysis only looked at lead conversion once someone landed on a VDP, so the SRP experience can be removed from the equation as well as any consideration of placement of the sort.

While I don't have the exact price range, given the fact it was over 500K listings, you can safely assume it was a very diverse set.

This is a tough one.
I still don't buy into the hypothesis that a customer gets so frustrated with more images that they don't submit a lead.

I'm not going to deny the numbers because I can't prove that one way or the other, but I think the conclusion is off base. I would be far more inclined to believe that it's because they have less questions and they're more inclined to call the dealership immediately or visit the dealership.

My hypothesis in that area would be that someone with stronger intent about a specific vehicle is more likely to call than email because often the call is responded to faster and there's a higher likelihood that they get the car they want. Less photos means more entry-level questions.

Reactions: joe.pistell