• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

After CARS: To delete or to NOT delete.

I work very hard to show what we have, what's on it's way, and what we may have an eye on at an auction, even tho it may not be here for weeks, I find the simple merchandising rules are always the best practice, so I'll post any and all of the vehicles, but if we have sold something that may not be deleted out automatically each day, unless it's a financing issue, it's outta of there! There's no worse feeling then having someone show up and be told that vehicle was sold last week.

"Dear Scott, Perhaps you weren't informed, but i'd be happy to tell
you the events that took place with ...(dealership name)..... I specifically phoned your
company on a Thursday regarding a specific vehicle I saw online and was
interested in purchasing. You took financial information from me over the
phone. On Friday, I came to the dealership. One of the vultures out front
swooped down upon me, barely giving me time to get out of my vehicle. I
informed him that I was there to see the internet folks, but I was a bit
concerned because I didn't see the vehicle I had specifically inquired about.
The man informed me that that particular vehicle was sold that Tuesday. Funny
thing, I called about it on Thursday, made an appointment for Friday, took time
out of my day to go look at a specific car that had already been sold. I do
believe that's referred to as the old bait and switch. So, Scott, you can
trust me that I will not be visiting ...( dealership name).....
any time soon or in this lifetime for that matter. And please be so kind as
to take my name off your email list.

Thank you.

SC"

Here is a great example of how people feel... this just came in late last night after a follow up email was sent out ...

People don't like the game...

Stefan

Nice example Stefan, I've seen a few of those emails come across with the use of virtual inventory. You can have disclosures all over the place and you will always have that one or two that don't (know how to) read.

We are always gonna have someone bitch about something. Do you focus in on that 2% or the other 98%?

Are you able to overcome the objection when it comes and is everyone else trained on how to overcome it?

As I read this thread, I had remembered a posting over on the blog from May 2007 Displaying new car inventory on your dealer website?. At the time I was at a smaller Mercedes dealer and it was really easy to manage the inventory. I would "lock in" new Mercedes to build my own "virtual inventory". After writing about this..several readers had their own opinions... AND actually help turn my own opinion around on the subject/practice. I encourage all to read the post and comments.

I would still do the same thing (sorta) if I were back at the dealer level, but would be sure each vehicle have it's own disclosure and would only post vehicles I know I could get within a 24 hour period OR if the vehicle was in transit to the dealership.

...which ties into another post "Letting Customer See Into the Future" that was started by CFrentzen.