• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Am I the ONLY one at a Lexus store that is having to brush up on my html coding?

@Yago....JM Lexus, who as far as I know, is the largest Lexus dealer in the country DOES have a secondary site. Its JMNEWCARS.COM. Apparently you just have to tip toe around the covenant, and have the budget to float two sites. Which the secondary site is a vinsolutions site, and they have some really good stuff. I converted my last dealership to vinsolutions.

And in response to the website being sabotage to the sale, that really doesn't benefit anyone. I'm sure there is a reason these "quirks" are what they are. I'm just interested to hear from other people who are in my position with this specific editor. Based on the feedback I'm getting in this thread it's starting to look like I'm just gonna put my big boy pants on and get busy. So much for finding a silver bullet to fix my problems. My Cobalt rep and other friends in the industry assure me better things are on the horizon.

Having budget for a secondary website is not hard (unless you buy the whole Vin enchilada!).

Thank you for the tip, I'll check on it.

I personally like being able to enter my own html. It's most frustrating to me when I can't have access to enter my own code.

I worked for Group 1. One Internet Director used extra large fonts that made the whole website unreadable. Instead of teaching that guy, they took away everyone's ability to do much of anything. It wouldn't even allow for bold, italic or bulleted text. I have never understood the rationale of playing to the lowest common denominator.

@Yago....JM Lexus, who as far as I know, is the largest Lexus dealer in the country DOES have a secondary site. Its JMNEWCARS.COM. Apparently you just have to tip toe around the covenant, and have the budget to float two sites. Which the secondary site is a vinsolutions site, and they have some really good stuff. I converted my last dealership to vinsolutions.

And in response to the website being sabotage to the sale, that really doesn't benefit anyone. I'm sure there is a reason these "quirks" are what they are. I'm just interested to hear from other people who are in my position with this specific editor. Based on the feedback I'm getting in this thread it's starting to look like I'm just gonna put my big boy pants on and get busy. So much for finding a silver bullet to fix my problems. My Cobalt rep and other friends in the industry assure me better things are on the horizon.

JM Lexus is the largest Lexus dealer in the world and was actually founded by Jim Moran - who was instrumental in the creation of a luxury brand in the US - I would imagine that JM Lexus had no need to tip toe around the covenant, but is simply an exception to the rule because of their founder and his relationship with Toyota. I had the joy of working for an SET dealership here in Florida and it really is an amazing company. Jim Moran was a very smart man.

The Jim Moran Foundation
The Toyota tradition continues with the growth of Lexus, a luxury car born from a discussion between Dr. S. Toyoda and Jim Moran in 1984. JM Lexus (www.jm-lexus.com ), which was established in 1989 in Margate, Fla., quickly became the #1 Lexus dealership in the United States. JM Lexus is now the #1 Lexus dealership in the world generating the highest sales volume among more than 190 Lexus dealerships.

Every IM person should know how to do SOME minor* code work. Can't rely on easy-cookie-cutter editors forever..

You could jump from the manufacturer one site fits all bandwagon and get a real website company to do your site. No offense BUT just because you can do basic code means that you can do things... and as website progress on the things they can do you will be able to do less and less. A company with good, available, and willing professional coders will just do it better.

I'm not with a Lexus store, but I have observed that Manufacturer design requirements can hobble website flixibility. That said, I don't see why something so arcane as posting a photo has to be that much drama. It seems to me there is MORE RISK with staff working directly on code than working with templates similar to a blog that many 12 year olds manage to use.