• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Am I the only one with a problem with Auto Traders new layout on SRPs??

Rick Buffkin

Sausage King of Chicago
Oct 29, 2009
Awards
First Name
Rick
I noticed Auto Traders new layout on the SRP's on Monday of this week and it sucks (just my opinion). The vehicle descriptions are not there anymore (on the SRPs). It looks like it's built for a freaking tablet. Is it like this everywhere?? I would love to know what their reasoning was for changing it and I really appreciate the heads up they gave me on the change. Have you guys seen this or did anyone on here know about it??

I tried searching by ZIP code for your area to see the change... no luck. So, it is probably a "cookied" change. Meaning they are testing out a new layout/design and you have to be the XX% that got the cookie for the new design.

Most companies do this to see interaction rates, etc -- And to experiment with new designs. If you clear your cookies, or start a private/incognito session in your browser, the changes should go away.

I would like to see a screenshot too... so please post before you clear your cookies.

Our rep told me a good while back that these changes were coming. They are now in a sort of beta mode where only certain areas see it. I got the first dose of it earlier this week. It does have some problems. Seems like the new default SRP is a grid now with a larger pic of the car, but as mentioned, no description area. You can click on list view which brings it back to more of what it looked like before, with the description preview in it. Still have to look this over some more to make a final judgement call.

new-srp-layout-01.jpg

Main page.
FireShot Screen Capture #243 - 'New Cars, Used Cars - Find Cars at AutoTrader_com' - www_autotra.jpg

SRP's.
newAT2.JPG

Attachments

• newAT2.jpg
    newAT2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Sort of kills the companies like FirstLook, vAuto (Autotrader Owned), etc... sales pitch of -- "the first XXX characters of your comments are very important"

Seems like a way to increase VDP exposure/count without changing much else. And, since we all tend to be VDP focused we might like this. How many people really read the comments on the SRP anyway? Looks like you can also exclude certain vehicles if you don't like them in the SRP (see the X in the upper right of each SRP listing?).

I sorta like it... we are visual people anyways.

Reactions: 1 person
Curious to what AutoTrader has set out to accomplish with these possible changes to the SRP. I always welcome change, but there needs to be a purpose behind the change.

What sticks out the most is the larger photo of the vehicle on the SRP - I'm sure that's a move in the right direction but how they have it implemented will cause more scrolling. And in this example screenshot, you have a good 2 full scrolls before getting to view any real "organic" search results. Several vehicle data points missing. Old school thinking less data might equate to increased CTR into the VDP? That would be a move in the wrong direction for consumer experience.

Reactions: 2 people