• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Any of you guys completely moved away from Cable TV to strictly Internet TV??

I bought a FireStick at Bestbuy a few months ago and installed Kodi myself in 20 minutes. Don't overpay someone to install it for you. The stick is $40 at most places. As far as streaming live channels, the best addon is Phoenix and it's still pretty poor.

As you mentioned, YES, you will find movies that are currently in the theater but the quality will be very poor (usually a guy with a camcorder pointed at the theater screen). The same applies to Live TV. I tried to stream CNN and ESPN and they were basically unwatchable.

So, for movies that are out on DVD, you will probably enjoy Kodi. But for live TV and really new movies...it isn't nearly up to par. For now I have Kodi, Netflix, and Directv.

I canceled DirectTV 4 months ago and I'm not missing a thing and I'm saving a decent amount of money. I have Hulu, NetFlix and HBO Now. I also just signed up for the Playstation Vue (no Playstation needed, Android TV needed) for LIVE and OnDemand TV. For $35.00 a month I get all the channels I need and MORE (FoxSports1 and 2). Overall I'm paying around 65.00 overall and I have everything I want VS 115.00 a month with DirectTV PLUS the price of Hulu, NetFlix and HBO Now. I held onto DirectTV for the PayPer Views (mostly UFC) but they now have their own streaming service and so far no hiccups.

Look at WHO is cutting the cable, the best demo's are leaving cable! This is one of those epic 'oh shit' moments. It'll impact our industry greatly.

Dealers, if you rely on carpet bombing local TV, I would be looking for evidence that this wave of 'cutting the cord' is impacting my TV campaigns. For proof, I'd look at the history of your average credit score, is it eroding?

Chart below is OEM ad spending. TV (combined) is 300% greater than all other spending.
upload_2016-11-7_7-24-15.png

Source: https://www.statista.com/statistics...-the-automotive-industry-in-the-us-by-medium/ I don't know if this includes Dealer ad spending ($49 to see deeper detail)

Last edited:
Millennial here: I've never had cable (since moving out of my parents house) and never missed it. We have Netflix Hulu and Amazon Prime. In fact we once had our kids at a friend's house who only had cable, and their reaction was something like this:

"We already saw this episode. Where's the episode list?"
"There is none."

"Where is the button to skip the ad?"
"There is none."

"I have to go to the bathroom, how do you pause it?"
"You have to wait for a commercial."

"This way kinda sucks, what the heck even??"
"Shh shh shhhhhh."

On the subject of tv ads versus other placements: Obviously that comes down to what demographic you're trying to target, but it reminded me of a conversation about strategy with a client (https://www.vinadvisor.net).

Founder was asking about ad placements and talking about tv ads. Since we're targeting millennials I suggested small-scale YouTube tests to find a working (profit-yielding) short video ad formula, then scaling that formula to a Hulu rollout.

It'll be a month or two before that happens but I can report results when it does.

I may be the odd one out here. I had no cable for the past 5 years and finally this year decided to get it back.
Main deciding factors:
  • Constantly tracking down a new illegal stream for a channel is a pain in the ass, especially when it fails at just the wrong time
  • True HD is important to me. Over the Air has the best HD, but my cable is a second place, streaming is a distant, distant 3rd
  • Although my movie and TV collection is broad and diverse, sometimes I just want to watch HGTV with my brain off on a Sunday morning
  • Politics and Superbowl. These were the 2 biggest selling features for me. I love election season (especially because I'm watching from the outside).
There's a chance I'll cancel when I move in the Spring, but I don't hate having plenty of streaming options available at all times.
Kodi and these other solutions are, in my experience, unreliable and low quality.

That said, 90% of my media interaction is with Plex. The new Plex Cloud with AWS made it even easier as I travel for work.
The question for me boils down to paying $40 a month to add HD Cable to my bill (less than I spend on coffee [in a week if I'm being honest]) for the off chance that I want it.

From reading you guys post, most of you have tried KODI and completely moved away from it or it is a secondary or third alternative. In my particular situation, my Comcast bill at my house is just north of $300 monthly. This doesn't include Netflix or Hulu that we are paying for as well. Now, I do have an upgraded internet pkg that is like $80 of that. My though's are, with all the different applications and media online, I should be able to basically cut my bill in half and still have a ton of media options. Basically get rid of all the excess crap in this Comcast pkg that we don't watch, find an combination of apps and streaming services and zero in on the shows that are important to us. I went out this weekend and purchased a Chromecast. It's nice but, the whole thought of streaming from my phone kinda has me set back a little on the product. It works great if you don't mind including your cell phone into your ability to watch TV. Me personally, I'm already tied to my phone throughout the entire day. When I get home, I simply want to put the phone on the counter top and not look at it anymore, grab a remote and find my shows! I'll probably keep the Chromecast as an alternative but I won't use it as a primary means of watching TV. I have a Roku and a HD antenna somewhere that my wife bought a couple months back that I need to find and hook up. I'm seriously going to look into Plex as well.

+KODI with tvaddons.ag (Exodus, Velocity, Phoenix, Crackle, USATVnow, Shani International Repo, and 1 Channel Primewire video add-ons).

Kodi on amazon Fire stick is not worth it, too slow. For Kodi for optimal use you need a keyboard or touch screen. The remotes are cumbersome and don't work right. Best to put Kodi on Samsung tab or a mid range phone and then chrome cast to TV. Or build a mini windows box and put kodi on that and connect to tv. diNovo edge if you can still find it at reasonable price is the best keyboard for media PC. Great range, Rechargeable, Trackpad is the best. Mine has keys missing, but still use diNovo over the K400 due to the track pad.

Roku has a great UI. Easy to use. Limited selection...

Netflix no longer use... after VPNs were disabled due to limited content available in Canada.

On Amazon Fire tv remember to restricted paid content... or you may end up with a couple hundred dollar bill from some one not knowing they are actually purchasing the episodes.

Hey Rick, I use a firestick with KODI and absolutely love it - it's a bit of a grey area as far as streaming from 3rd party sources. But I watch almost all of my movies/tv shows through KODI. Also I'm not sure if anybody mentioned this but the FIRE TV as opposed to the firestick is way better for performance since it has it's own modem. Every once in awhile it's choppy but I use watchespn, nbc, and fox for sports and that works out really well. I also use a projector so it was more cost effective than getting another cable box down there. Either way, you have to have fast internet if a firestick or firetv will work. It's not perfect but way better than a cable bill!

All of our dealers are utilizing internet pre-roll videos and they have a direct impact on Organic Search impressions and overall increase in traffic. Definitely takes at least a few months to see these numbers increase, but at 0.2 cents a view, why would you not do it?!