• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Anyone have advice for the overwhelming amount of vendors these days?

I'd start by making two lists.

List #1 - Write down all the stuff you like about your current website.

List #2 - Write down all the stuff you don't like.

Take List#2 and put a dollar amount you're willing to spend next to each thing you don't like.

Follow Joe's advice, don't look for solutions that seem to have it "all covered" - look for the solutions that solve some of the things on List #2.

If you think that you've found some that address these issues then go through the site as if you were buying a car. Take notes.

Offer a free oil change to customers who will sit down and do some user testing and have them use your website and one provided by a vendor you are considering. This is called usability testing and websites with millions of visitors per month will spend 10s to 100s of thousands of dollars on this before they rollout a new feature.

Finally, give the provider a call and see how comfortable you are in talking with them and whether you feel they can address your issues. Ask them about new features they are working on. Ask if you can speak to some of their current clients.

If you are really crazy, find some local tech meetups where developers hang out and just show up. There are some great ones on SEO, design, programming, etc. etc. You'll be amongst those who are typically building sites or maintaining sites with millions of users, but you can apply that knowledge to your own site and it will make your decision making process so much easier.

Also, another benefit to attending a meetup is that you can show them your website and they can provide incredible feedback and it's free!

Once you have your list...Call and get references from other dealers. Also, if you can.. find out what kind of resources they allocate to new initiatives and production. You want to work with vendors that are always moving forward with their offerings and not playing catchup, or better yet, never moving forward.

Does anyone know of a desking tool that calculates the front and backend of a deal? I have seen some that do it and give general numbers but I am looking for one that shows me exactly what I kinda room i have for my entire inventory.
Thanks much,
Topher

Does anyone know of a desking tool that calculates the front and backend of a deal? I have seen some that do it and give general numbers but I am looking for one that shows me exactly what I kinda room i have for my entire inventory.
Thanks much,
Topher

Are you trying to do searches based on 115% of NADA book values and etc?
Or just price - cost for all vehicles and sort by profit?

Sounds like you are trying to figure out which vehicles to sell to make the most profit?

Promax has good functions for this and other spi-fi functions. VinSolutions (my company) desking can do these types of calcs and functions as well. I imagine there are others as well. Maybe someone else will reply. Does your CRM's or DMS's desking have the ability to do it?

I know this thread is a little old but I wanted to add to it because it is such a good thread. Everything Joe says is great advice, basically you need a Request for Proposal and a Request for Demo.
I really agree with Alex sometimes in the pursuit of simplicity we make things too complicated.

Last edited: