• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Anyone using blackbook on there website?

I have found that a a NON-branded (No KBB or BlackBook) online appraisel tool will actually get you more conversions, as the consumer is on your site and it is your appraisel tool. I have data to back this up. Something like Sell more cars and generate leads with our auto appraisal tool - tool allows you to shut off the NADA branding, does a "range" quote, and allows you to adjust the over/under value.

IMO - by the the time people get to your website, they are past the "research" stage and already know from the other sites the apprisel value, they now want to know "your" value. Of course, having the tool is one thing, having your salespeople (people that set the appointment) know how to overcome the objections is another thing.

Last edited:
I have about 10 dealers on the same tool as above. The main reason they like it is because of the features mentioned above. It is also the only one that allows the customer upload photos of the trade, which also makes it seem like it is the Dealer actually doing the numbers.

Last edited:
There is an older article over on the blog that might provide some information and opinions as well.

I have no experience with getautoappraise but I do like the photo upload feature.

From my experience BlackBook produces more leads if you are strictly looking for lead count. The closing ration is typically in the 15% ratio from my years of tracking but it really depends on your process for these leads.

With that being said - I often wonder how many customers you piss off and loose the opportunity to do business with because the range in the price value given is sometimes a joke. Who considers a 10g spread an actual trade-value?

I find the transition into gathering the customers information to not be as smooth as BlackBook.

KBB is great for brand recognition but since a majority of consumers at some point have already been on KBB.com to get the KBB value - why do it again on your website.

I would also check what online trade-in tools your competition is using as well.

We currently use blackbook on our site. It provides a pretty fair amount of quality leads. We are going to switch to KBB, not due to lack of satisfaction with blackbook, but to see if we can generate even MORE leads. The way we view it, KBB is more of a brand name to the consumer, that is the name they are comfortable with. They will click on it becuase they know it. Blackbook, is not near as branded to the consumer. Kinda like carfax. To the avg consumer, carfax the THE source to get a history report on a car. They don't have a clue what Autocheck is. If I offered my customer an Autocheck on their car, they would think it was some sort of jicky dealer report to make the car look better.

In terms of using your own appraisal type tool, it COULD be something that would work. I am sure that there are disclaimers and everything that doesn't hold your feet to the bid, but as soon as your name is attached to appraisal tool, you are beggin to get in to a showdown with a customer over why you can't give them the value they got from your tool. We all know how to over come the objection, but it will still, inevitably leave a bad taste in their mouth over the situation.

I guess we will see how the KBB experiment goes!

Justin,

I have a proposal for you. I sent you an IM.

From what I've seen, you might expect to see a drop in leads. Maybe not initially but over a 3-4 month period I would venture to say the count will drop. I'm only going by my own experience and yours could differ of course.

Remember, if you are going to track, be sure you are keeping it consistent. No additional placements or links when you add KBB (or vice versa).

It would be great if you update everyone here with your ongoing results.

Try NADA. I've been on NADA for Scott Clark's Toyota in NC for about 8 months now and I couldn't be happier with it. Plenty of flexibility in how and what info is given to the customer. Most importantly, I keep the customer on my website. They don't bounce to another window that is littered with other dealers ads. They are framed in on my site... www.scottclark.com