• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Anyone using Cars.com-New Leads Plus?

Chris Atwater

Push Start
May 16, 2012
First Name
Chris
I'm curious if anyone out there is using Cars.com New Leads Plus? The reason I ask is because I'm having a tough time with the leads we are getting. They either have the wrong phone number or email. I'm 0 for 10 on responses so far and have not reached anyone on the phone due to not having the correct phone number. Cars.com keeps telling me to give it some time and they say they verify the information, but it sure doesn't seem like it. I'm just curious if anyone has used it in the past and if it's a waste of my time and money. Thank you!

Chris, I used new leads plus when I was in Dallas with good success. After moving to Phoenix, I tried them again with zero success. I don't think that it has anything to do with the area. I ended up cancelling them.

So it worked for you in Dallas, but not in Phoenix. What do you think the problem was the most that made you cancel? The same problems I'm having?

So it worked for you in Dallas, but not in Phoenix. What do you think the problem was the most that made you cancel? The same problems I'm having?

Chris, here is my list of essentials for good display advertising:

Actual pictures
Good descriptions that feature major options
Video
Market-based pricing
Strong call to action

When you click on the new car specials, it looks like a newspaper ad. On these, I am going to have the most competitive prices. I feature my cheapest vehicles at the top. If I have done my due diligence, I expect results. New cars, used cars, to me it is iron. I treat them the same way. If I don't get results, I will take that money and invest it where I see a better return.

Reactions: 2 people
Chris, here is my list of essentials for good display advertising:

Actual pictures
Good descriptions that feature major options
Video
Market-based pricing
Strong call to action

When you click on the new car specials, it looks like a newspaper ad. On these, I am going to have the most competitive prices. I feature my cheapest vehicles at the top. If I have done my due diligence, I expect results. New cars, used cars, to me it is iron. I treat them the same way. If I don't get results, I will take that money and invest it where I see a better return.

I follow the same rule of thumb! I told my rep. from cars.com that I was giving them a 60 day trial. Just not having good results so I may just end up canceling myself. Thanks for the tips!

Doug, I believe Chris is referring to Cars.com's NewLeadsPlus program. This is their New Car leads (3rd Party Leads) program. Typically a lower volume but above average quality.

Here is more in-depth review of the product offering Cars.com - NewLeadsPlus

Chris - I would keep a close eye on these leads for accurate data (as it seems you are). Accurate numbers and emails are of course essential for contacting a potential lead. We have several leaders from Cars.com that participate here on DealerRefresh so I'm positive that if you continue to have this issue, they'll find a solution for you.

I would also keep an eye on this program as Cars.com rolls out some major changes with their New Car program across the board.

Also - have you considered lead scoring?

I'm not using them myself, but I'd keep working those leads as if you close just 1 of those 10 before the month end that's not a bad return and a lot better if you find a 2nd deal in there.
You might want to submit a lead through the system to see what other dealers in your area are also on the program if you haven't done so already. There might be some valuable insights you can gather to incorporate into your new leads plus leads.

Doug, I believe Chris is referring to Cars.com's NewLeadsPlus program. This is their New Car leads (3rd Party Leads) program. Typically a lower volume but above average quality.

Here is more in-depth review of the product offering Cars.com - NewLeadsPlus

Jeff, I believe that when you opt for the new leads plus program, you also have the new car specials. I might be wrong. Like the old commercial, "A mind is a terrible thing". I did opt for New Leads Plus and cancelled when the ROI was poor. Now the basic Cars.com was a different story. They recently came up with a new program and I opted for that.

Nick from Cars.com here. A few quick thoughts:</SPAN></SPAN>

*Major apologies if you’re running into validation issues. We actually scrub each lead internally and then send them to an external validator before we send them out, so we’ll absolutely investigate. I’ve already been in contact with your rep Kristyn, who I’m confident will be in touch in short order. Also a quick reminder – if you feel a lead is low quality, we’ll issue you a credit.</SPAN></SPAN>
*To clarify – our NewLeadsPlus and NewCarSpecials products are often bundled together (as they both offer new car value) but they operate separately</SPAN></SPAN>
*I never miss a chance to ask for feedback – since we’re talking about our new car suite, and we’re in the midst of building off of our feature launch from earlier in the year – what else can Cars.com do to help sell new cars?</SPAN></SPAN>

Thanks,</SPAN></SPAN>

Nick Hummer
Director of Advertising Solutions
312-601-6004
[email protected]</SPAN></SPAN>