• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Are Dealers Spending Too Much On Paid Search?

Ugh.

Or, drives by your dealership.

Or, saw your television commercial.

Or, heard about you from a friend.

Or...

No one said fully-transparent PPC tracking was a panacea, only that without it, you need to find a different SEM.

(Again, Ed, you've quoted me out of context.)
Exactly @Stauning -- And it's infinitely more likely that you would need to replace the 'or(s)' with 'and(s)'. Because it is very likely that 3rd party sites, AND television ads, AND talking to friends, AND paid search ALL may have played a role in the consumer's decision to click. AND that is why tracking conventionally may give you very limited insight into what drove the behavior.

Enter the sort of Advanced Analytics discussed in "We are being beaten by socks. SOCKS!". We now have the ability to measure influence, rather than simply the last click. AND then you are truly able to gain insight into your marketing.

See Clarivoy and Transparency to glimpse the future of attribution (and no, I'm not being paid by either).

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexander Lau
Ugh. And, as usual, you took my point and fit it into your own context.

I am very familiar with both of those companies and how they are helping classified sites (like your current employer) make every other attribution model seem embarrassingly dated.

There is a place for SEM and there is a place for Cars.com at most dealers.

But, to throw out the direct attribution models (ROI and Calls and Leads) because they don't make Cars.com look influential enough is misleading to dealers. There is a place for all valid models in every dealership.

Reactions: Alexander Lau
Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

I'd be curious to see a cost / benefit analysis in determining the ROI for those harder to track channels such as TV, radio, billboards, etc. Given how more and more demographics rely on online information for car research and buying, how much money should a dealer invest in tracking the effectiveness of their non-digital spend? It's not a rhetorical or leading question; I'm honestly just curious myself.

Tracking last-click attribution with sites has become pretty basic and most dealers have the skills to do that themselves. Multi-channel attribution is a bit trickier for some, but still, many dealers can sit down in front of GA and understand it. Tying in CRM, call tracking and DMS data is certainly more complicated and time consuming, but that level of attribution is reasonably straightforward and cost-effective, either with the dealers themselves or having a vendor help them.

I have no idea of the cost of the companies like the ones that Ed mentioned, but I'm going to guess it's reasonably expensive. A quick Google about the buying habits of car shoppers turns up a PDF from Cars.com (not sure of the date) titled "Auto Marketing Digital Influence Study" that suggest that TV, mailers and radio are in the "Shoppers don't find advertising very helpful or trustworthy". It also says that 68% of all in-market shoppers and purchasers relied on digital sources, compared to 9% for outdoor ads and 8% for radio.

I know how effective digital is depends heavily on location and target market. But for major metro areas that target the 25-44 demo, I'd be curious to know what impact being able to attribute to non-digital sources have had on their business. Anyone have any data on that?

Reactions: Steve Stauning
In your opinion @JoePistell and @Ed Brooks, what is a good formula / process for determining a Dealer's Profile to determine the correct advertising path / structure / balance?

I would like to hear those opinions as well, but based on the conversation within this thread, it sounds like surveying every sale becomes a probable necessity to be included as a weighted variable in the overall decision-making for marketing mixes.

Given how more and more demographics rely on online information for car research and buying, how much money should a dealer invest in tracking the effectiveness of their non-digital spend? It's not a rhetorical or leading question; I'm honestly just curious myself.

Tracking last-click attribution with sites has become pretty basic and most dealers have the skills to do that themselves. Multi-channel attribution is a bit trickier for some, but still, many dealers can sit down in front of GA and understand it. Tying in CRM, call tracking and DMS data is certainly more complicated and time consuming, but that level of attribution is reasonably straightforward and cost-effective, either with the dealers themselves or having a vendor help them.

I have no idea of the cost of the companies like the ones that Ed mentioned, but I'm going to guess it's reasonably expensive. A quick Google about the buying habits of car shoppers turns up a PDF from Cars.com (not sure of the date) titled "Auto Marketing Digital Influence Study" that suggest that TV, mailers and radio are in the "Shoppers don't find advertising very helpful or trustworthy". It also says that 68% of all in-market shoppers and purchasers relied on digital sources, compared to 9% for outdoor ads and 8% for radio.

I know how effective digital is depends heavily on location and target market. But for major metro areas that target the 25-44 demo, I'd be curious to know what impact being able to attribute to non-digital sources have had on their business. Anyone have any data on that?

I believe both Transparency.ai and Clarivoy.com have products they sell directly to dealers. In fact, Clarivoy won the 2016 Driving Sales Innovation Cup with their TV Analytics solution.

There are substantial limitations to Google Analytics as Steve White points out in "The True Cost of Google Analytics," a post that I HIGHLY recommend every automotive marketer read.
"There are real costs, in dollars, to managing Google Analytics in a way that gives true and valuable insights to marketing. This includes the huge hidden cost of incorrectly allocating marketing spend to the WRONG channels and losing out on the lift that the RIGHT channels would give you."
The third party listing site I work for has partnered with Transparency.ai to produce analyses on hundreds of individual dealerships looking at months of data and hundreds of thousands of transactions.

Clarivoy seems to concentrate more on working with individual dealerships and dealer groups (that's just my impression), and you may be pleasantly surprised by their affordability.

Ugh. And, as usual, you took my point and fit it into your own context.

I am very familiar with both of those companies and how they are helping classified sites (like your current employer) make every other attribution model seem embarrassingly dated.

There is a place for SEM and there is a place for Cars.com at most dealers.

But, to throw out the direct attribution models (ROI and Calls and Leads) because they don't make Cars.com look influential enough is misleading to dealers. There is a place for all valid models in every dealership.

Ugh (it's my turn to say it) :)

I'm not throwing out calls and leads at all. They do play a role, but as @Jeff Kershner has said, "Only 3% to 7% of shoppers fill out and submit websites’ form leads. It’s not that they aren’t important, but we’re so fixated on that 3%, we can forget the 97%". Long before I moved to my current business home, I've been looking for ways to quantify and qualify who and what influences the 97%.

And note, as important as Calls and Leads are, they are not attribution models. Neither is ROI. It is a metric you can derive after you apply an attribution model. The more advanced and accurate the attribution model, the more accurate the ROI that is derived.

I would like to hear those opinions as well, but based on the conversation within this thread, it sounds like surveying every sale becomes a probable necessity to be included as a weighted variable in the overall decision-making for marketing mixes.
Both the advanced analytics platforms I discussed in the post analyze every sale, but they don't do it with customer surveys. From Clarivoy's website, "Multi-Touch Sales Attribution allows our clients to transparently view a consumer’s full path, sorting and ranking the true influence of each channel’s contribution - paid search, display ads, email, third party websites, organic search, social, brand website."

Last edited:
Thought #3). Like Ed said, it's all about balance. It starts with the Dealer's profile 1st. Once you have the dealer's profile (i.e. strengths and weaknesses), THEN you can strategically deploy ad dollars.

Lot's of great points here, the above from @JoePistell & @Ed Brooks is a standard for me in any advertising game plan, & most of the time is the reason a dealer will be overspending with any advertising.

The strength's need to align with the advertising strategy. Most of the time this is overlooked because it get's into the overall complicated time consuming front-end dealership structure. Vehicle acquisition, merchandising, communication, sales floor & desking processes. If there is no definitive plan or process for the dealer, then what do most vendors do? Just sell them something they want and move on. The dealer might keep believing they need more & more leads & more phone calls, when all they need to do maybe is set up some fail-safe's in their process flow to capture more missed opportunities.

When it comes to SEM overspending though, we're mostly talking about new car advertising. A dealer could have some used car advertising in their mix, but I would guess it wouldn't exceed the new car portion of the monthly spend. Also, display ads, that could be included here, IMO how much is enough or needed? I see overspending more with display than most other forms. Video pre-roll ads could be included with SEM spend too, dealers are starting to spend more there. Our OEM's also do SEM, which could increase a dealer's spend. The move to mobile devices have caused big increases with SEM spending, since 2013 changes to device type targeting & bids. Now there are less ad slots at the top of search, creating more competition, that will... increase spend. This looks like a pattern & it probably won't be going away.

Reactions: Rick Buffkin
One of the best ways for dealers to truly understand PPC (paid search, display and video pre- | mid- | post-roll) value, set-up an attribution process using competent software. You (more than likely) already know your spend, learn to calculate your cost / lead and cost / acquisition by pulling sales numbers against it. You'll know if your spend is working and / or if good leads are there w/o the sales, there's a larger issue at hand. If a dealer sees great cost per lead numbers, yet poor sales it's usually an issue with their internal sales process. Bad BDC, CRM or Sales Teams (or all of the above), so there is value in understanding that as well, I would think.

In your opinion @JoePistell and @Ed Brooks, what is a good formula / process for determining a Dealer's Profile to determine the correct advertising path / structure / balance?

Rick,
6-8yrs yrs ago, while I was a CMO at a dealership in NY, I posted this table on DR. The google gods helped me find it ;-)

This is a high-level look at the Attributes that circle around PPC strategy.
upload_2016-12-14_9-30-38.png
The arrows point to the direction of the trend (lowest to highest).

Shopper Attributes:
  • Traffic = Internet PPC Traffic
  • Web Skillz = Shopper's Internet Skills (not everyone knows how to 'work' google to produce results)
  • Time in Market = How much time the shopper has spent car shopping
Campaign Attributes:
  • Cost of PPC = Cost Per Click
Dealer Profile Attributes
  • Big Dealer vs Boutique Dealer* looks at where the dealer's PPC should be aimed at
Hope this is a starter for ya Rick!

HTH
Joe
*a boutique dealer is simply a small, low volume dealer.

Reactions: ed.brooks
Here are other dealer profile attributes that influence PPC strategy

post: http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/threads/what-is-your-new-car-pricing-strategy.4705/#post-41141

Dealers are like snowflakes, no two are the same"
-Uncle Joe

Here are some attributes can influence building a winning pricing strategy.
Franchise’s Influence
  • OEM Pricing Persona (e.g. Audi vs Ford)
  • OEM's brand position among its competition (e.g. Audi/Subaru is strong, Buick is sucking wind ;-)
  • OEM's mass marketing profile (e.g. GM carpet bombs vs Suby's subtle messaging)
  • OEM Incentives
  • OEM's Inventory Complexity (e.g. Honda has a few models, trims & options, Chevrolet has a 100x more)

Marketplace Influences
    • Number of In-Franchise competitors
      • Dealers share of the total in-Franchise inventory in his marketplace (i.e.. little fish or big fish?)
  • Number of off-Franchise competitors that share "common customers" (e.g. Kia/hyundai/toyota/chevy have common customers)
    • Dealers share of total inventory in his "common customer" marketplace

Dealer’s Direct Influence:
  • Dealers Sales Goals (passive or aggressive)
  • Dealer’s Management Methods
    • A pricing strategy has to complement the current leadership's needs.
    • Management quality (leaders or fire fighters?)
    • Inventory Performance Sensitivity (rules based or reactive?)
      • Age driven?
      • Turns driven?
      • Marketplace driven?
  • Dealer’s local market impact (i.e. little fish or big fish?) This includes
    • # of roofs
    • The franchise profile (a volume brand or elite?)
    • Your franchise's market share of it's brand (are they #1 or last place?)
  • Dealer's Inventory Profile
    • Inventory size (width and depth)
      • e.g. Inventory Dupes creates 'door buster' pricing tactics (e.g. longo toyota has 77 Black Camry’s)
      • Inventory Scarcity (i.e. rare vehicles)
    • Inventory health
      • Product mix optimized?
      • Product merchandising
    • New/Used ratio (used inventory changes shopper demos)
    • Frequency of price changes
  • Dealer's Online Reputation (review scores & volume)
Geo Profile
  • Rural, Suburb, City (population density & demographics)
  • Drive time to market center
  • Avg distance to sale (from sales history)
  • Marketing Footprint: Serve a single market or multiple markets

Advertiser Profile

All of the attributes above will be reflected in the dealer's ad profile. Some Dealers (& OEM) are big traditional ad spenders. This 'ad posture' will influence (& compliment) the pricing strategy.

Traditional Ads, is the dealer a...
  • Carpet Bomber? (big spender)
  • Drop in the ocean? (little spender)
A carpet bomber's "ad theme of the month" will have a big voice in the pricing strategy.
The smaller dealer with a opportunistic mindset will be like a sniper and study the weaknesses of his "carpet bombing competitor".

Digital Ad Spend
  • Dealer's that rely heavily on the digital audience will entertain sophisticated (or dynamic) pricing models.