• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Arkona Server failure

Jarrett

Boss
Nov 24, 2009
First Name
Jarrett
Interested in Arkona, consultant advised me they had a major server crash hosting dozens if not more dealers recently. Wanted to verify this with any users who have witnessed this.

Anyone know anyone with Arkona on-site, not SaaS/remotely hosted?

Jarrett

Servers crash... if they are hosted remotely or on site. It is just inevitable. If a server crashes in your dealership it could take days to replace the hardware, reinstall software, reconfigure and be back up and running, where it might take them minutes or hours in their data center. By them hosting it though you don't have to worry about fixing it and they probably have much more redundancy in place to prevent the problem and fix the problem when it happens.

My thoughts exactly... However the rumor I am trying to confirm is that Arkona's Hosted server (one of many I would assume) had a significant failure in which the data was unable to be 100% replaced from their redundant processes. Combined with this other hardware such as firewalls and networking equipment failed to properly redirect traffic from the primary data center to the redundant data center. The end result is some dealers on their platform have been without a stable system for something like 60 days. I find this rumor hard to believe and am reaching out to the community to either validate or dismiss. It is plausible their sales growth has outpaced their infrastructure growth resulting in situations similar to the above rumor.