• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Eric Weber

Green Pea
May 23, 2020
First Name
Eric
I posted something like this about a month or 2 ago and I'm revisiting it again because I actually hate my current job.

I am a 20-year-old freelance automotive photographer based in Dallas, TX and I'd like to get into inventory photography for a luxury/Exotic Dealer. (examples of my work below)
I have no idea where to start. I have created a site since then (GenericExotics.com) but I think I want to exclusively work as an in-house photographer for a dealer to start out.

My idea is to start somewhere like a Porsche/Mercedes/Bentley dealer but I just don't know how to contact such a large dealer like these (especially at a time like this)

I understand that my photos can legitimately transform an entire dealer's online presence, but again, I just don't know who to contact

Any tips would be appreciated, thank you

Attachments

• 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    408 KB · Views: 10
  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 1 (4).jpg
    1 (4).jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 1 (5).jpg
    1 (5).jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 1 (6).jpg
    1 (6).jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 1 (7).jpg
    1 (7).jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 1 (8).jpg
    1 (8).jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1 (9).jpg
    1 (9).jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 7
I posted something like this about a month or 2 ago and I'm revisiting it again because I actually hate my current job.

I am a 20-year-old freelance automotive photographer based in Dallas, TX and I'd like to get into inventory photography for a luxury/Exotic Dealer. (examples of my work below)
I have no idea where to start. I have created a site since then (GenericExotics.com) but I think I want to exclusively work as an in-house photographer for a dealer to start out.

My idea is to start somewhere like a Porsche/Mercedes/Bentley dealer but I just don't know how to contact such a large dealer like these (especially at a time like this)

I understand that my photos can legitimately transform an entire dealer's online presence, but again, I just don't know who to contact

Any tips would be appreciated, thank you

Hey @Eric Weber,

I have a few thoughts for you to chew on. I hope this helps.

First, I think this is a GREAT time for you to explore this opportunity. COVID, for as bad as it has been, it has encouraged dealers to really upgrade their digital marketing efforts. You can be a tremendous asset to the right dealer, but if you are going to get a dealer to hire you, you need to be able to prove you are needed and that you can dramatically improve their performance and profitability. They will look at you and your work as an investment. Here is what I would do if I were you:
  • Identify the players and analyze their game (Research the dealers in your market):
    • Use Autotrader, Cars, OEM sites to identify and build a list of all of the dealerships that sell high-end units. I'd build yourself a Google Sheet to keep track of them.
    • Add a column to that sheet and score their images and merchandising efforts. A simple 1-5 scale probably works.
    • Add a column to that sheet for their best example unit. Link to the Vehicle Detail Page (VDP) on their website, perhaps screenshot some of those images.
    • Add a column to that sheet for the unit with the greatest opportunity for improvement. Find a car in their inventory that is not shot well and you know you could do better. Take a few minutes and write out what is wrong and what you would do differently. This time now will pay off later.
  • Identify the Decision Makers:
    • Add a column to your sheet for Decision Makers. You'll need to get creative here and use LinkedIn, pick up the phone and call, stop by, and ask the receptionist.
    • Start with the dealers that you scored a 1. They NEED you and you should have the most to talk to them about.
    • Keep participating here in the forums. Share your knowledge and expertise. A lot of dealers read here.
  • Prepare your "Why Eric"
    • Create a 1-pager portfolio of your work and a short narrative explaining why you want to do this. This is your resume/leave behind.
  • Start reaching out:
    • I'd be offering an audit. Tell them that you are a professional looking for an opportunity and you've analyzed their images online, you've found some opportunities for improvement and have some best practices that you want to share with them. Ask for 30 minutes to review your findings. I'd tell them "Hey, even if you don't have an opening currently, I know the things I will share with you will help you to improve and you'll think of me when you do." Make that statement your own and be ready to back it up. This is where your pre-work above starts to pay dividends.
    • This takes time and diligence and it WILL be hard work. You may want to load up a picture of @jquinn in his purple tie or @Jeff Kershner in his Jorts to a dating site so you can get really comfortable with rejection. ;)
    • When you get a "no" be appreciative and ask for a referral. This is a small industry, everybody knows somebody. "Thanks for your time. I understand that I may not be a good fit for you at this time, but would you be willing to help me? Is there anyone else that you know at a dealer near here that may need my help?"
  • Don't Quit
    • Keep coming back to your Sheet. Add a column to the right with date and rerun your scoring. If you had a 5 drop to a 3, call them. Maybe they lost or promoted a person that was doing this well before. If you were able to meet with a 1 that didn't offer you an opportunity and they are now a 3 call them. "I was just looking and your team is doing better, any chance you want to take that effort to the next level."
    • This is an awesome industry. There are so many incredible people that work in and with dealerships across the country. I count myself as fortunate to have "fallen in." I never thought I'd be doing this at your age, but I am so very glad that I get to.
Good Luck, but it isn't about "luck" Eric. If you believe in what you are doing and you can communicate the value of you and your work to a dealer's profitability, you will find your foot in the door. My guess is that photography won't be your only task if you get an offer, but that may be a post for another day.

Ryan

Reactions: Eric Weber
Hey Man,
Not to be a downer but your work is way too good to be an inventory photographer for a car dealer. I cannot speak for everyone but we pay our guy $5 to $10 for 20 to 30 shots of an entire car plus he has to do window stickers. Another $5 bonus for cars done in under 3 days. You would hate it. Have you thought about Boats or car clubs? A luxury yatch would have so many things to take pictures of and a large broker like MarineMax or something similar would pay a lot better . Don't waste your talent on a car dealer - you'll get burnt out.

Reactions: Patrick O