• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Behavioral Targeting Campaign

We are running large BT and Retargeting campaigns for a handful of our dealer groups. Although our CTR is well above what's mentioned above, I could not agree with Jeff more.

BT or any form of online display advertising should NOT be compared to PPC. It is a compliment to your PPC, and if anything should be compared to your Radio, Print and TV campaigns. Have you ever tracked a newspaper campaign with call tracking or landing pages? I think you would be appalled at your "CTR".

If near 90% of vehicle shoppers are using the Internet to research their purchase, wouldn't this be where you would spend your advertising dollars? Not to mention the true methodology of Behavioral Targeting is advertising to people in-market to buy a vehicle - something you can't do with Radio or TV.

Leads to clicks? Don't you mean clicks to leads?

We are using an affiliate marketing company who worked with us to create and post the banners. We pay by the impression(s), and the conversion rate was shown earlier...

Interesting that the Affilate Company would be working on a impression model (I will get back to you on this) as for the converison rate, I ment clicks to lead submissions and I didn't see that in the tread, am I just missing that?

The Lead Conversion Ratio it the KEY Kevin, in my experience cost per click is relative to the number of oppertunities I get to sell a car and the number of cars I sell as a result. I would happily pay $100 per click if I was getting a 75% Lead Submission ratio and and 45% of those customers were converting to sale.

In the case of $41 per click I would want to see a 18% to 20% lead conversion ratio with a avg. 30% converting to sale.

This is as much a function of your Post-Click-Marketing effort as it is the ad placement, but in the end if your not getting the lead submission rate nessesary to pay for the effort the eyeballs on your landing experience are irrelevant.

Kevin,

Jeff hit it on the head. Even with a heavily targeted campaign your costs will never be comparable. Display has been shown to markedly increase (20%) paid search volume and when coupled with retargeting can be a powerful tool. Keep the big numbers in mind, find out what's happening with click fraud-- or what the network does to eliminate/credit that back to you as well as keep your own numbers. While there'll be inconsistencies between what they report and you do at least you'll have an average instead of just one voice to go from.

Also, consider your creative. Do you have a strong call to action? What sizes are performing? Why run sizes that aren't performing?

90 days is just about the right amount of time for you to have a solid benchmark.

One last item to ask about is regarding retargeting. If you're retargeting, how many times can one person see that ad? Especially if you're buying a CPM instead of CPC model it's easy to quickly burn through to someone that only came once but is active on other sites.

Thought I would take a second and bump this thread. I'll be speaking on Digital Display Advertising at the next Automotive Marketing Bootcamp on the 16th of April, right before Digital Dealer 10.

I'll be starting off with the 101 of Display/Banner advertising, the benefits, the tricks and stats while wrapping up with some new display technology around the effectiveness of video pre-roll. I hope for it to be a very educational session for any dealers wanting to learn more around Digital Display Advertising.

If anyone has any questions before attending the Marketing Boot Camp - feel free to ask away here. It"ll help me build out this presentation...

Reactions: 1 person