• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Best FCA Certified Digital SEM Vendor Near Me?

Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Brian
Starting in May of this year, off-program paid search providers will no longer be PAP eligible under the FCA program. My question is - Who is the best FCA Certified vendor if we decide to switch and why? Why is it that I can not find pricing without a demo? Many of these same companies speak of transparency and payment options when they are pitching digital retailing. Is it worth the extra management fees to use the same vendor as 6 other CDJR dealers in the same state/region? I'm assuming they are more expensive because I can't find pricing clearly stated on their websites. Will this initiative truly improve dealers staying in their swim lane as proposed? Will this truly align Tier I - Tier III SEM strategies and reduce ad spend as mentioned during the roll out for 2019 CDJR Digital Initiatives? I have my own opinion but I'm trying to detach, listen and see if my own beliefs match that of the Dealer Refresh Community or if I'm overthinking it.

I think wether you go FCA approved or not, you should end up choosing your SEM provider in terms of out of pocket / leads.

Some of those approved vendors are having challenges providing high volume x quality because they're using a cookie cutter approach.

There's an impact on having the same strategy and ad texts over one city like you said.

A cookie cutter approach is not bad per say, if the SEM provider found a recipe that works, why make it different for the sake of it?

A portion of our business is based around SEM and we do replicate recipes without copying everything over, especially with multiple dealers in the same area. It's just common sense.

Scaling is easier when you replicate for sure. We on our end ensure we don't have to put any client in "Guinea Pig Mode" :)

As for your second question, depending on products the AM has available I would say from 10 to 40 average? Then again, implications with the dealers play a huge role here.

Starting in May of this year, off-program paid search providers will no longer be PAP eligible under the FCA program. My question is - Who is the best FCA Certified vendor if we decide to switch and why? Why is it that I can not find pricing without a demo? Many of these same companies speak of transparency and payment options when they are pitching digital retailing. Is it worth the extra management fees to use the same vendor as 6 other CDJR dealers in the same state/region? I'm assuming they are more expensive because I can't find pricing clearly stated on their websites. Will this initiative truly improve dealers staying in their swim lane as proposed? Will this truly align Tier I - Tier III SEM strategies and reduce ad spend as mentioned during the roll out for 2019 CDJR Digital Initiatives? I have my own opinion but I'm trying to detach, listen and see if my own beliefs match that of the Dealer Refresh Community or if I'm overthinking it.
You're in Kentucky, the guys at Strong Automotive in BHam, AL do a good job at this.

Brian,

I represent Click Here Digital and we have a very transparent fee structure. We also offer custom solutions (unlike the cookie cutter approach you mention) and we have a reporting portal that lets you know exactly what's going on with your account in real-time. We are also located in the South. If you haven't picked a vendor yet, give me a call at 225-383-0333 to discuss, or visit us at www.clickheredigital.com

I have reviewed results for more than half of the approved FCA providers, so in fairness there may be great vendors I've not worked with. However, for my FCA customers and friends who are asking, I'm recommending Dealer Teamwork (@ericmiltsch). I think their new packages are priced well, a discount for FCA dealers. Specifically I've been impressed with the results of their new make/model campaigns, compared to some other vendors.

Do you think a cookie cutter approach has to be used by these bigger vendors because they have difficulty scaling to meet client demands? How many accounts can one account manager maintain and service with solid results?

Brian,

This answer to your question is probably yes (cookie cutter does equal scale), but this definitely is on a case by case basis. Here are the overarching categories I've seen:

BIG BOX
Some of the larger agencies still frack out a specialty team of sales reps and account managers for their high spend, large group clients. They approach the rest of their clients on a burn and churn basis: high volume & low touch retail model. Their account manager can manage over 100 dealers at one time, but it's mainly to react or send a monthly "here's how you did". On the flip side, they have the funding to afford some high tech solutions. Typically their funding also allows for in-house fulfillment, but you can't get a good turn around time because so many clients are using them!

BOUTIQUE
These agencies are well funded, so they can afford high levels of technologies. They are also small, so their account managers have limits placed on them (no more than 20 accounts). They also don't take direct competitors to their clients. They also offer very custom approaches to their strategies and have their own fulfillment teams. This is the best of both worlds! You can get someone on the phone. They visit their clients. And they're transparent/integrated with your dealership.

MOM & POP
These agencies are usually very strategic, offer great ideas (usually an extension of a one-man-show or 'racehorse' digital guy who's been pretty successful on his own). They have time to devote to you because they don't have a lot of clients, and their level of attention to you is top notch. However, because they don't have a lot of clients, they can't offer a consultative approach to your entire supply chain from advertising to sales and 'what works' across a large portfolio - because they don't have the insights into one. They also lack funding, so their reporting is either in monthly slide shows or free analytics reports, or they simply email your stats in text. Finally, they typically outsource all of their services. So when they say they'll deliver something with a 3-day turnaround, it's because they're placing an order or ticket with a 'big box' agency somewhere else (or a fulfillment agency in another country).

I hope this helps! I didn't name any names on purpose.

Last edited:
This program has been in place for a month now and I would love to see data on how this has affected cpc and results. Anyone care to share? We decreased cpc 12.5% across the board tightening up some of our broad match keywords and dialing in exact match keywords.