• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Best practices and things learned from 2019

Trent Rogers

Green Pea
May 17, 2012
First Name
Trent
I haven't been active on the forum in a while since I moved back into a full-time sales role, but recently my managers and I (due to my background) have taken a more hands-on, in-depth approach to our email templates, follow up campaigns, and our overall customer engagement. I guess you could say I'm trying to get up to speed with you BDC/Internet Manager guys and gals that are fighting the good fight every day.

I would love to hear what you have learned from 2019, what worked, what didn't work, and how you hope to expand on it in 2020.

I'll go first... This past year it has been made abundantly clear to me the power of text messaging.

I know to a lot of you this probably sounds really obvious, but I think as an industry we have been so focused and trained on phone and email correspondence we underestimated texting for too long. One place I have really seen it pay off is with my long term sold follow up.

I find it interesting that while the website chat utilization has picked up a little, it still doesn't seem to be as preferred as texting with a salesperson. I think that might be because most website chats are utilized in such a way to collect a customer's info which is ultimately used as a warm t.o. to an actual salesperson.

With that being said, this year I'd like to give our customers an option to get the information they want via text earlier in the process. Essentially, lets cut out the obligatory email and phone call, and just go straight to texting since that is what they seem to prefer anyway. I understand not all customers prefer text, but it's pretty clear that the majority do.

I look forward to experimenting and building on this and seeing where else we can effectively incorporate texting in our processes.

Thank you!