• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Big Data: Not Internet 3.0, Internet to the 10th Power!

More number bending...

... Less than 1 percent of this traffic resulted in email form leads submitted on dealership websites

.../snip/...

The study found that nearly 80 percent of direct referrals from search engines during the study were driven by keywords that were a variation on the dealership name...

Let's flip the napkin over and boil it down...

Break out Dealer Name Ad Traffic: # of Visitors * .8 = these people want to call the store now.

Using the example of 8,000 web site visitors
  • 480 from PPC
  • 384 came looking via dealer name (80%^)
  • 96 came from dealer PPC product ads (didn't know dealer name)

Leads equaled 1% of ALL 480 PPC visitors. Using 1% of 480 PPC visits = 4.8 leads. Remove the 384 phone number lookers and apply the 4.8 leads to the 96 shoppers and now you have a 5% lead to shopper ratio.

Don't look at the exact numbers, look at the context. If you compare email lead preformance ratios against traffic that may be mostly service traffic, then the conclusions are in question.

Big data is a rats nest.

^PPC for dealers name is DIRT CHEAP ($0.15-$0.50). Most are service calls. Depending on the dealer profile, If the dealer has a strong media budget, he'll drive traffic to google and people will click on the dealers name. It's safe to bet that the 384 are looking to call the dealer directly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Joe, I'm going to have to look at these numbers when I am not about to fall asleep. I pulled those directly from their study.
I did see the same percentage (expediture for search advertising) from another source. I believe it was NADA.

It is good to see you more active again.