• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Bracing for life without a CRM, help?

JesseJ

Boss
Mar 22, 2011
First Name
Jesse
Well I'm officially in panic mode. As the ISM here my day to day activities are at very least 50-60% CRM based if not more. I was never an organized person until I began utilizing technology. I am forgetful with short term tasks, so reminders, automated tasks, etc multiply my productivity infinitely. The decision has come down from the top to cut our current CRM. That decision is mostly based on the general lack of efficiency regarding salesman use of the program. This issue frustrates me as well but is really a technicality. The irony is the salesman do complete their daily activities, they just are inconsistent with logging them.

The decision maker's current (mis) understanding of the function of a CRM is daily activity tracking and bulk emails. My request for help would be one of two things...could someone provide some make-shift solutions for internet department/dealership success without a CRM? The other...could someone help me out with an argument as to why removing a CRM from a dealership is devastating to email marketing. His argument is that we have all the information stored in our DMS and we can just import that and find another way to send bulk emails.

Thanks guys and girls. Let me know if you need anymore information.

Jesse,

Sorry to hear that. Not a good place to be before Christmas.

You can use MS Outlook to great lengths while you try to figure out the next step. You may also plead for one more month of CRM until at least you find a cheaper solution. Even though a cheaper solution may not give you all the features that you wish t have at least it will allow you to manage things.

Hi Jesse,

You might try the CRM software from ACT! from Sage: Sage ACT! | CRM, Contact and Customer Relationship Management Software . I think they have an online version and a software version that you install on your PC. They offer a 30 day free trial. The downside from a management point of view is that if you and your laptop leave, so does the database info. If you decide to try it and want some start-up help, give me a call. I've used it for many years and happy to help answer questions.

Jesse,

It is a tough spot when the owner and/or upper management fail to see the value in CRM. Personally I have left stores because of this.

If there is no hope convincing them technology will lead to car deals, you may want to consider pursuing an opportunity at another store. I can imagine that as an Internet Sales Manager your income is highly dependent on lead volume and if CRM is not a priority their attitude signals a larger issue in the dealership. It may be difficult to win arguments in the future to try new lead providers, advertising sites and etc.

It may sound strange to have someone tell you to leave your current job but there are many dealerships out there who simply refuse to evolve. These stores will continue to be out-paced by the competition and cannot survive forever with an ancient business model.

If worse comes to worse and you lose your CRM, try looking for a less expensive Internet Lead Management (ILM) solution. They are on the market for $200-500/month and will provide you with the basic tools you need. Even paying out of your own pocket you will realize positive ROI going this route.

Best of luck,

Jake

Jake,

I can't deny that I've had that thought. I had just worked out a raise for myself set to kick in the 1st of the year. The irony is, they seem to be completely unaware that removing a CRM is simultaneously a pay decrease. It seems that while there are very good CRM programs available at less cost, it's not a huge savings, $1400 vs. $2000/month is about what I'm seeing. The set up fees are enormous as I would expect because transferring a database on information can't be an easy task.

I'm considering the ILM solution and I do think I could get the dealership on board with that. The real problem is that I can't track showroom activity that way, including tracking my own sales and appointments. This is of course very frustrating.

My sales manager has suggested possibly purchasing a CRM software that isn't designed for auto dealerships. I know 1to1news mentioned that's been successful for her. Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Wow. How do you manage Opt-Outs in the DMS? How do you manage the same person not getting the same email 10 times -- you know how duplicate-laden DMS data is. How are those internet leads going to get into the DMS? Going to use the DMS as a prospecting tool? DMS going to let you know when there's 6 months to go on your lease portfolio? Will the sales staff be able to access years' worth of notes and correspondence with customers in the DMS? Nope, nope, and, ummmm NOPE.

There's a real simple argument: convince the decision maker that eliminating CRM is stepping over dollars to save dimes. While some CRM's can be cumbersome and have low satisfaction rates from the staff and therefore poor utilization rates, at the end of the day, accountability with the sales staff is a PEOPLE issue; not a system/process issue.

No matter what system you have, you get out of it what you put into it: set your goals and expectations and manage to them.

What is the goal of eliminating CRM? Save a couple of bucks? Take a stab at monetizing your efforts and productivity and make the case that these revenues will be lost.

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 people
The decision has come down from the top to cut our current CRM. That decision is mostly based on the general lack of efficiency regarding salesman use of the program. This issue frustrates me as well but is really a technicality. The irony is the salesman do complete their daily activities, they just are inconsistent with logging them.

Who does your email blasts? Do they (you) generate them from the CRM or the DMS?

If the salespeople are not properly logging their activities, why are they talking to you? They need to be discussing this with the new and used car sales managers. I have a feeling that this threat has come after many discussions on the tool not being used properly. CRM activity is one of the steps to the sale. I wouldn't tolerate a salesperson not logging their activities any more than not demonstrating cars. Instead of replacing the CRM, they should be talking about personnel.

Who does your email blasts? Do they (you) generate them from the CRM or the DMS?

If the salespeople are not properly logging their activities, why are they talking to you? They need to be discussing this with the new and used car sales managers. I have a feeling that this threat has come after many discussions on the tool not being used properly. CRM activity is one of the steps to the sale. I wouldn't tolerate a salesperson not logging their activities any more than not demonstrating cars. Instead of replacing the CRM, they should be talking about personnel.

@ddavis Yes your suspicion is correct. There has been much discussion about the tool not being used properly and I agree with you whole heartedly.

@JQuinn When you really lay out the concept of doing these things with our DMS it just sounds ridiculous. I think your points will prove very helpful.

Reactions: 1 person
@ddavis Yes your suspicion is correct. There has been much discussion about the tool not being used properly and I agree with you whole heartedly.

@JQuinn When you really lay out the concept of doing these things with our DMS it just sounds ridiculous. I think your points will prove very helpful.

Though from a different point of view, it seems John and I are in agreement. Either Uncle Joe and Alex have beat some sense into him or the therapy and the medication is beginning to work.