• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Car Carrier Killed

danoneil

Boss
Apr 16, 2009
Awards
First Name
Dan
I am surprised this does not happen more often. Towson car dealership accident: Man killed unloading vehicles at Towson dealership - baltimoresun.com

By Alison Knezevich, The Baltimore Sun 9:12 p.m. EST, January 15, 2012

A man was killed Sunday morning as he was unloading vehicles at a Towson car dealership, Baltimore County police say.
The man was taking vehicles off a car-carrier at the Heritage Hyundai dealership on York Road around 9:50 a.m. when he somehow became pinned under the carrier, Cpl. George Erhardt said. Police are investigating how the incident occurred.
The man, who had driven from New Jersey, was pronounced dead at the scene, Erhardt said. His identity has not been released.

My brother in law was a car carrier for decades until he retired last year. He's paid by the mile so they're unpaid while they're loading and unloading. The job ain't easy climbing all over that iron, then, cover it all with snow and ice and you've got trouble brewing. In the auto crisis days we all went thru, they cut his pay 20% and threw a 62mph governor on his rig to save on gas. All that and he was glad to have his job.

I could not imagine not having insurance as a vendor. Every one of my guys is covered under our garage policy.

Mark,

I have a $2M policy that covers driving INSIDE the dealership but not outside on the road. To drive every car a dealer has every month outside the dealer premises we were quoted $600/month per dealer. With over 400 dealers the tab was over $3M per year.

If you have an idea or a solution that will cover my guys driving any and all cars a dealer has outside the dealer premises for an affordable amount I'm game.

My brother in law was a car carrier for decades until he retired last year. He's paid by the mile so they're unpaid while they're loading and unloading. The job ain't easy climbing all over that iron, then, cover it all with snow and ice and you've got trouble brewing. In the auto crisis days we all went thru, they cut his pay 20% and threw a 62mph governor on his rig to save on gas. All that and he was glad to have his job.

That is old school work ethic that you don't see much any more. That ice and snow stuff is nature telling you that you live in the wrong place. Cold shrinks up your equipment ...what more of a sign do you need?

Reactions: 1 person