• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

CarGuru's calls Dealers CHEATS

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
C'mon out of your ivory tower CarGuru Execs.

Come roll up your sleeves and joins us. Come see an industry trying to undo the wrongs from a generation past. Come see us all embrace the internet tools and the culture of transparency. Take a moment and read for yourself how deeply the auto retailing industry has changed: Is there a Solution for Hiring Sales Professionals for your Car Dealership? | DealerRefresh Spend a few 55hr work weeks with us and see how tight margins have become due in large part to the power of the internet. Sit with us and see how shoppers that have found the lowest price and still WANT to negotiate. Listen and take note how often shoppers "mis-represent" their trade-in for personal gain (how many people tradein a perfectly good car?)

Like you, I am not from this industry, but I am in my 7th year and I've seen this from both sides. The Internet has turned the tide and the gigantic chip on everyones shoulder (against all car dealers) is old news. Sure, there are outliers that look alot like that old car dealer ghost from the 70's, but that crabby ol dealer is on life support.

The real story is all about change... on both sides of the table.

C'mon out of your ivory tower CarGuru Execs.

Come roll up your sleeves and joins us. Come see an industry trying to undo the wrongs from a generation past. Come see us all embrace the internet tools and the culture of transparency. Take a moment and read for yourself how deeply the auto retailing industry has changed: Is there a Solution for Hiring Sales Professionals for your Car Dealership? | DealerRefresh Spend a few 55hr work weeks with us and see how tight margins have become due in large part to the power of the internet. Sit with us and see how shoppers that have found the lowest price and still WANT to negotiate. Listen and take note how often shoppers "mis-represent" their trade-in for personal gain (how many people tradein a perfectly good car?)

Like you, I am not from this industry, but I am in my 7th year and I've seen this from both sides. The Internet has turned the tide and the gigantic chip on everyones shoulder (against all car dealers) is old news. Sure, there are outliers that look alot like that old car dealer ghost from the 70's, but that crabby ol dealer is on life support.

The real story is all about change... on both sides of the table.

Joe,
I'm with you, today there are many Dealers working hard to dispel the reputations earned by shady practitioners of old but still the parasites like CarGurus who make their living fueling the hatred of us make it hard to love what we do.

I AM the car business and I feed my family and the families of others by selling cars.....yes the families of the "how to buy a car so called experts" are fed because myself and those like me have the fortitude to remain in a business looked down on by so many including the Car Gurus of the world who think that by undermining a business they are somehow holier than thou.

We provide services to people like taking in trade in vehicles we don't even want and get chastised for doing so, how does this make sense? Has anyone ever tried to get a trade in on anything besides a car lately? If I wanted to get a new house could I go into a Real Estate office and pick out my new house, negotiate the selling price (based of what the seller originally paid) then spring my house into the deal and demand some random amount that I claim it's worth based off information from someone who doesn't buy houses? I know we all know the answer, but this is not only what's expected of our industry it's what we provide.

Yes the Gurus of the world may be surprised to learn that sometimes we would rather not even deal with someones run down trade, sure we all need the trades we can resell but am I alone in not even wanting to sit in some of the dirty, worn out junkboxes that people have illusions of value from someone who won't write a check?

Taking trade ins is a service.........how easy we make that service is up to us, but it is a service. Are games, tricks, schemes and nonsense played by some Dealers? Sure, but are REAL checks being written for vehicles we don't even want by Dealers every day? More than games, tricks or schemes....rest assured.

Every blogpost I read from the CarGurus (what a joke) of the world attacking what we do make me laugh......probably someone who was weeded out of our business because they couldn't sell transparently themselves. By never really understanding that the crooks, liars and swindlers of this industry are not the ones they hurt with their nonsense and "car buying advice" it's those of us working hard to change these perceptions that are held back by their "advice".

I think CarGurus should remember that they (like people who WANT to avoid the hassle of selling cars themselves) NEED Dealers to make their company work......they sell themselves as a site for unbiased reviews, but in reality are another mouth being fed by those like me who get car deals done every day.

Joe,
I'm with you, today there are many Dealers working hard to dispel the reputations earned by shady practitioners of old but still the parasites like CarGurus who make their living fueling the hatred of us make it hard to love what we do.

I AM the car business and I feed my family and the families of others by selling cars.....yes the families of the "how to buy a car so called experts" are fed because myself and those like me have the fortitude to remain in a business looked down on by so many including the Car Gurus of the world who think that by undermining a business they are somehow holier than thou.

We provide services to people like taking in trade in vehicles we don't even want and get chastised for doing so, how does this make sense? Has anyone ever tried to get a trade in on anything besides a car lately? If I wanted to get a new house could I go into a Real Estate office and pick out my new house, negotiate the selling price (based of what the seller originally paid) then spring my house into the deal and demand some random amount that I claim it's worth based off information from someone who doesn't buy houses? I know we all know the answer, but this is not only what's expected of our industry it's what we provide.

Yes the Gurus of the world may be surprised to learn that sometimes we would rather not even deal with someones run down trade, sure we all need the trades we can resell but am I alone in not even wanting to sit in some of the dirty, worn out junkboxes that people have illusions of value from someone who won't write a check?

Taking trade ins is a service.........how easy we make that service is up to us, but it is a service. Are games, tricks, schemes and nonsense played by some Dealers? Sure, but are REAL checks being written for vehicles we don't even want by Dealers every day? More than games, tricks or schemes....rest assured.

Every blogpost I read from the CarGurus (what a joke) of the world attacking what we do make me laugh......probably someone who was weeded out of our business because they couldn't sell transparently themselves. By never really understanding that the crooks, liars and swindlers of this industry are not the ones they hurt with their nonsense and "car buying advice" it's those of us working hard to change these perceptions that are held back by their "advice".

I think CarGurus should remember that they (like people who WANT to avoid the hassle of selling cars themselves) NEED Dealers to make their company work......they sell themselves as a site for unbiased reviews, but in reality are another mouth being fed by those like me who get car deals done every day.

Well said Craig.

You are right Drew - we feed these little companies with our inventory.We allow them to survive. Stop sending your inventory everywhere - focus on your own websites and branding and these sites will have no choice but to fizzle. They're NOTHING without our inventory.

I actually tried to stage a vendor revolt, against a major vendor, in a major metro market - could only get a handful of dealers to commit.

Sad - dealers turn control and power over to them, when dealers are actually the ones that have it.

I have tried to educate dealers that I deal with that a "free" listing site is not always the best choice, even had a few that "saw the light" and had me working on removing all their inventory from all sites.

I think PCG had a nice write-up posted somewhere if people are looking for then big picture of why inventory sites are a bad idea - but if you dig deeper, there is alot more to why it is a HORRIBLE idea!

"...Don’t negotiate the value of your trade-in,...Dealers are notorious for cheating numbers and creating confusion by presenting you with only a monthly payment."

Trade-In Tips: Read This Before Selling Your Car to a Dealer | The CarGurus Blog

The more I look at CarGurus.com, the less I admire... and, I'm sorry to say, I'm talking about it's Exec's, not it's technology.

I am with you 100% Joe! It is people in companies like these that think presenting dealers in this light will help. They are no different than some than some media reporters that run to crime scenes just to show the blood and guts without any concern for the damage they do. They portray us all as crooks and thieves to hit a hot button with consumers to sell their product. If they are in fact a company that wants to use the internet to connect with consumers they should understand that with all of the ways to do that alienating the people and business they need to keep their product viable is not the way to success. Our business has been around a lot longer than they have and soon we will figure out a way to unite and drive them out of existence. Their product lives only till the next new widget comes along. We have survived depressions, numerous recessions and will survive their petty remarks. People still know a good dealer and salesperson when they meet one and will continue to do business with them despite what some know nothing has to say in a website or blog. The difference between people in that business and people like us is we will adapt ,overcome and survive.

Forget the free sites for a minute. Some of the biggest players like Cars.com and Dealix as well as a host of others are paying CarGuru to host your inventory on Carguru in hopes of capturing more leads. These venders don't really care where the leads come from because they have a signed contract with Carguru that says the originating lead source will remain anonymous (unless you ask).

These venders are using Carguru to extend their reach. They make their living because we pay them for a service. We as dealers have decided that brand names like Cars.com and Dealix are ones that we want to do business with and represent our product. If Cars.com posted an article like the "Trade Tips" article on guru there would be a stampede! So are they guilty by association? I was always taught that you will be judged by the company you keep. If Carguru had to rely on the dealers to supply them directly with an inventory feed, would they exist in their current format? I doubt it.

We as dealers must decide where we stand with this product and whether or not we wish to be associated with it. I for one am cutting off my inventory feed to Carguru via Dealix, Cars.com and any others I can track down.

@ Jeff. I would like to see a vender / Dealer Refresh round table at this years Digital Dealer. What would it take to get the right players from Cars.com and Dealix as well as any other vender associated with CarGuru and a few representatives (Dealer Refresh members) from the dealerships and have a discussion about this issue?

Forget the free sites for a minute. Some of the biggest players like Cars.com and Dealix as well as a host of others are paying CarGuru to host your inventory on Carguru in hopes of capturing more leads.

Exactly, I had to contact Dealix for a dealer and have them stop posting the inventory to other sites. We said they were only allowed to post to their own sites - like UsedCars.com