• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Cargurus?

I tried to get the price lowered before, that was a few years back. No success. They pissed me off over something different - shady practice from the sales rep at the time. I canceled and went to the "free" tier. On this tier we receive an average of 10 leads a month and sell one or two. The quality of the leads are the same BUT they remove the customers contact info (phone, email.) Instead the leads include an alias email, an additional barrier between communication, making it harder to make initial contact - no attachments, no links. I set up a simple response template to inform the customer that if they are indeed interested to respond back with their direct email and phone. It works, at least well enough.

Reactions: Karen Ann
I tried to get the price lowered before, that was a few years back. No success. They pissed me off over something different - shady practice from the sales rep at the time. I canceled and went to the "free" tier. On this tier we receive an average of 10 leads a month and sell one or two. The quality of the leads are the same BUT they remove the customers contact info (phone, email.) Instead the leads include an alias email, an additional barrier between communication, making it harder to make initial contact - no attachments, no links. I set up a simple response template to inform the customer that if they are indeed interested to respond back with their direct email and phone. It works, at least well enough.
Thank you very much, I will pass it on. Thank you also for providing this forum.

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
I have not tried to re-negotiate with them.

I am always reluctant to go to the well with them for fear of walking away with a higher rate not a lower rate. I haven't been raised in years and feel a little like I am flying under the radar :yabuddy:

I've heard lots of complaints from dealer customers about being strong-armed by CarGurus into paying top dollar on their site. The sales people there seem to be very aggressive and from what I've heard there is no set pricing in their minds, they look at lead volume and try to get the most they can squeeze out of each dealership.