• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Carvana Partnering With Dealerships - Partner Inventory?

I'm no Carvana fan boy, but, I looked at this program as if I were back in my marketing dir chair, and, I'd be pounding the table to get into the program.

My beliefs (prior to the Carvana Program review)
  1. Carvana (CVNA) has seen its best days. Selling cars is easy, selling cars at a profit is NOT easy. Buying uninspected cars is financial suicide. It will take years for CVNA to create the infrastructure and culture needed to fix all of CVNA's problems. This shift will make them less impactful.
  2. CVNA is not a threat to my store. IMO, buying a used car sight unseen cannot compete with an in-store experience (see best buy vs amazon).
Next, for a back of the napkin look at CVNAs impact to your P&L, pull 3-4 years of your wholesale auction sales, remove any that can't be sold by carvana (too old, too many miles). Then drop off another 10% for bad carfax. Review the remaining units on that list as if 50% were sold at retail via CVNA. Pre-covid results would blow you away. Covid results, not so much.

To that end, look at your docs and have a thought experiment by adding a hard line where all units over XX days would get consignment listed on CVNA.

Thoughts?

Carvana needs dealer's 'front line ready' units to combat this growing problem:

View: https://twitter.com/PharmakoiBoy/status/1509986020007194631?s=20&t=GjzON7_rPl7xV8VbVw46lg

NOTE: Carvana sells ~45,000 VINs per month. With only a 2% fail rate that's 900 fails per mo. That makes for a lot of complainer posts.

My beliefs (prior to the Carvana Program review)
  1. Carvana (CVNA) has seen its best days. Selling cars is easy, selling cars at a profit is NOT easy. Buying uninspected cars is financial suicide. It will take years for CVNA to create the infrastructure and culture needed to fix all of CVNA's problems. This shift will make them less impactful.
  2. CVNA is not a threat to my store. IMO, buying a used car sight unseen cannot compete with an in-store experience (see best buy vs amazon).

Last edited:
Carvana's 3rd-party marketplace program in question

The exact status of that program — in which Carvana listed used cars and trucks from dealer partners and other third-party sources for sale on its website alongside Carvana-owned and certified vehicles — is not clear.

The exact status of that program — in which Carvana listed used cars and trucks from dealer partners and other third-party sources for sale on its website alongside Carvana-owned and certified vehicles — is not clear. Its fate had been in question after a screenshot of an apparent program termination notice to the company's dealer partners circulated on social media in late October.

Full article:

Reactions: Steve Stauning