• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

CarWoo Anyone?

Is the only difference between this and truecar is that the customer pays? Lol.

I would love to see the dealer interface of this -- if somebody has one. Please PM it to me. I'm curious if this actually pulls from you live inventory or if it will just quote a price based off a "less than invoice" price based off all new model like true car does.

with that said. Seems like it could have an equal amour of negatives and positives. Negative being the fact you can easily become a citizen of lowball city. Positive is the fact that this has gotta be the easiest sell in the world. I mean, Christ, he customer paid to get information.

The difference with Carwoo is they don't access your DMS. You pay a monthly fee and per lead you get as long as it's viewed by the prospect. Very easy interface that you fill in and type comments. They are working with contact management integration. It's 25% there but the guys at carwoo have proved very talented. This is going to be a great product with a great future.

The user interface for Carwoo is very user friendly for both the customer and the dealer. The fact that you can build and quote the car exactly how you have it in stock makes sure the customer is comparing apples to apples when looking at competing dealers' quotes. As Scott said, it is another tool in the toolbox to generate volume. This strategy works for some brands/dealers and doesn't work for others.

My experience has been very good. I’ve been using Carwoo for over a year now. I’ve become such a fan that I even wrote some posts for them on their blog site. I’m getting about the same amount of deals each month we do from our other 3rd party leads for a fraction of the cost and work. And I have yet to win a deal by being the lowest. I could probably pick up another deal or two if I did, but I found that holding out and using Carwoo to create a conversation with the customer pays off. I see dealers pop on and try to under cut everyone and I imagine they are sitting on the other end proudly admiring their quote waiting for something to happen and it never does. Eventually they probably say it’s a waste of time because the customer didn’t buy from them. I guess what I’m trying to say is it’s not a pants dropping party, but there are dealers on there who think it is. It’s not as if your low balling competitor is suddenly going to behave differently just because it’s a Carwoo lead. That guy on the other end of town who makes his living plucking low hanging fruit and missing opportunities is still over there doing his thing. He’s just easier to beat on Carwoo if you use Carwoo differently than he does.

I think the survey I got back from a Carwoo deal probably says more than I ever possibly could about Carwoo. Here’s a good portion of it.

Deal / Closed Date:
5006668 / 2012-06-15
CEI:
100.0%
Customer Comments:
I pretty much already explained everything that made this experience such a great one. In today's competitive market, price is no longer everything. I would rather work with a dealer who is honest, fair, has great service, and is up to date on the latest trends for buying/selling cars. So when Downtown LA had all of that plus offered a great price, I became fully satisfied.

I'm even going to switch to Downtown LA for the service in maintenance on my other Jetta ('07).

Alerted based on the following criteria:
-
Survey Comment

Survey:

Please rate the dealership on the following questions:
*a.
How long did it take for you to receive a personalized response to an internet or email inquiry made to THIS dealership?
Within one business hour

I made the deal through CarWoo.com. The rep from this dealership (Dave Erickson) came in with his offer within the hour while other dealers took a day or two longer.

b.
Your satisfaction with the dealership?s facility, including comfort, cleanliness and amenities offered.

Comfortable waiting area; clean restroom; clean, bright environment;

*c.
Your satisfaction with the selection of different vehicles available for you to view and purchase.

Please rate your Sales Consultant on the following questions:

a.
Understanding of your needs and guidance to the right Volkswagen.

Dave answered my questions regarding the trim level features to make sure it includes everything I was looking for.

b.
The level of honesty and integrity displayed throughout the purchase process.

Everyone I dealt with genuinely came off as honest, respectful, and having full integrity.

c.
The knowledge demonstrated and quality of information provided.

There was a miscommunication on my part regarding the pricing incentives that Dave was able to clarify for me in a way th at made sense.

d.
Your satisfaction with the quality of the test drive offered.

e.
Were you contacted to ensure you were completely satisfied with your sales experience?
Yes
As an added bonus, the GM and sales managers of the dealership sent letters to my home address thanking me for my business. Call me old fashioned, but traditional gestures are something I really appreciate.

f.
Consideration of your time and responsiveness to your requests.
While pricing out the car from different dealerships, I didn't want sales reps calling me throughout the day but rather to do this at my own pace. Going through CarWoo.com and e-mail let me do just that, and Dave was very prompt in communi cating back and forth without feeling any pressure. I knew that if I had a question I could get a quick answer, but also if I needed time to step aside from the process for a moment, I could do so. It was the only way I could have bought a car during such a busy time at work and home.

g.
Your satisfaction with the process of coming to an agreement on pricing.

With the first offer being so quick and fair, I did not feel inclined to negotiate down any further. I have the buying philosophy that both sides should walk away happy where I get a great deal without the seller taking a loss. Also the act of the offer being good from the start displayed a lot of respect for my time which I appreciated.

Doug, Have you seen this program? It's unbelievable. I can't grasp why any dealer would actually want to be a part of this. Has anyone else on here used CarWoo successfully? Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems like the old bridge to nowhere...

Everything somehow always works for somebody in every market... count that every market is different than the one you are in.

... the survey I got back from a Carwoo deal probably says more than I ever possibly could about Carwoo.

Customer Comments:
I pretty much already explained everything that made this experience such a great one. In today's competitive market, price is no longer everything. I would rather work with a dealer who is honest, fair, has great service, and is up to date on the latest trends for buying/selling cars. So when Downtown LA had all of that plus offered a great price, I became fully satisfied.

I'm even going to switch to Downtown LA for the service in maintenance on my other Jetta ('07).

I am seeing this over and over and over again.

Example, I recall an article from a NADA Survey that asked: "how many car dealers did visited prior to buying?"
2006 = 3.8
2011 = 1.5

My post sale survey is saying the same thing.

2 years ago, I'll never forget when my brother told me about his car shopping experiences, he said exactly the same thing "all these car dealers are so close in price now I bought it from the nicest car dealer"

I believe that people see the price transparency that the internet has brought, intuitively know that price is no longer the "great unknown". In 2012, from the shoppers P.O.V., WHO they are buying the car from is now the "great unknown".

Vendors, the world is changing... are you listening?

Reactions: 3 people
Everything somehow always works for somebody in every market... count that every market is different than the one you are in.

I am quite surprised that anyone is happy with the results that CarWoo brings. I suppose you are right though, different strokes... I also understand what dave is saying about low balling competitors doing what they do, but when it's done right in front of the customer i think it's embarrassing and harmfully to the brand and to the industry as a whole. I guess if you're already selling cars at a loss, this is the program for you.

I think Joe make a great point. Right this second for example I'm working a carwoo deal. I'm an average price with two dealers a few hundred lower than me. We've had 13 back and forth communications. Being responsive, nice and helpful wins deals (especially if you are local). I've copied below the customer latest message to me a from a few moments ago. If I win this deal the two lower dealers that aren't responding are probably going to be scratching their heads tomorrow while I sold a car at a competitive (not lowest) price and picked up a trade.

"Yes, assuming I qualified. I was over 800 last year when I checked, so that shouldn't be a problem. Also want to thank you for your quick replies, I have yet to get a response from either of the other two. How does CarWoo address trade-in's?"

Go get 'em Dave! CarWoo's data says your on the right path!!! (see "helpful" & "unhelpful")

best-practices-for-online-car-dealers.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
Another "online car buying / negotiating" service drops off the list.

"CarWoo! was founded with a mission to deliver the best car buying experience possible. While CarWoo! is shutting its doors, our commitment to that mission remains as strong as ever.

To that end, a small group of us will be joining TrueCar, the negotiation-free car buying platform. CarWoo! helped hundreds of thousands of car buyers get a better experience. In the spirit of transparency, we believe TrueCar came up with a better way and has emerged as the dominant force in helping to reshape automotive retail. I see an incredible opportunity in this moment in time to take our successes and, equally important, our entrepreneurial learnings and apply it to what we believe will be the brand that forever changes how people buy cars.

I am personally proud to join the stellar group of innovators at TrueCar. Thank you to everyone that gave their heart and soul to CarWoo!. Our passion for building the best possible buying experience lives on.

Tommy McClung
President and CEO, CarWoo! "

Rightfully so. TrueCar is the better product, the better model, and is more widely known. Besides that, dealers realize that by not taking part in a program like CarWoo, it keeps them from being successful. You can't make an enemy of the one entity that supports your program. At least TrueCar realizes that if the dealer doesn't buy in, there is no future in the product. On the other hand, I REALLY don't like how often the monthly fee changes at TrueCar. I've been on the fence about cancelling with them ever since these seemingly random increases started. ROI is decent, but I believe their non TrueCar leads would end up in the lead bucket without them as well. Makes it hard to truly judge their performance. Anyone else getting this from TrueCar?