• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Certain dealers 'hogging' leads from portal

Nov 18, 2013
First Name
Chris
I run a dealer portal that provides leads on used vehicles. The problem I am encountering at the moment though is that there are a couple of dealers who advertise through the portal who are hogging a large portion of the leads. These dealers generally have very cheap stock (they aren't franchise dealers and have very few overheads).

These dealers are receiving a few hundred leads per month and many of our other dealers are complaining about too few leads.

I hope this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering if anyone had any advice of what we could do in a situation like this. What would be the best practice and what would keep everyone happy. There is no way the dealer itself can handle that amount of leads, so for everyones sake (including the customer putting through leads), we need to do something.

It appears your search results are sorted ascending by price. Perhaps adjusting this so it is descending would help. Another idea is as opposed to having a drop down boxes for the user to select their price range provide a widget with per-determined ranges in the form on links (with inventory counts). This reduces the clicks to action and will increase the usage of the range selection.

Also, the search results page doesn't include the dealers phone number or name. Since there will be more people on these pages versus the details page another way to increase the lead count would be to add some conversion elements here. Another idea is reviewing the source of the traffic versus the price of the car they converted on. You should find that specific mediums/sources are good for certain price ranges, makes, models etc. With that info you can strategize on how to get more traffic from sources of customers looking for nicer vehicles.

Just my opinions and I would A/B test any change in a pilot first.