• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Chrysler PAP and Chrysler Digital best results for the money??

I admire your passion Manny. Here comes some of mine...

From the dealer's digital marketing manager's (DMM) perspective:

#1). PPC and organic are team mates competing for the same SERP click. I'd compare rankings and traffic from SEO and PPC. I'd create a battle plan where, on Keywords (KW) that SEO dominates, I'd reduce PPC bids and then track the impact (goal: reduced PPC spending has a small impact to KW traffic).

#2). I'd study the top KW's where PPC is dominating*. To decide which KW's to attack, I'd create a simple table that listed all PPC dominator KW's, then I'd have the SEO team attack those KWs that had the lowest SERP page one competition (strategy formula: SEO team attacks the best PPC KW's with the LOWEST SERP competition. This should produce the highest SEO team ROI).

#2a). Weeks to months later, when the SEO team has got those PPC KW's covered, I'd repeat the cycle again.

#3). Next challenge, from the DMM's perspective, both SEO and PPC should be pointing to the same page. All highly ranked SEO pages should have a superior PPC QS (Quality Score). Superior QS should always result in lower PPC $CPC's.

#4). While that SEO/PPC cycle is going on, I'd be doing a studies of "landing page behavior" with a goal to improve on page performance (higher VDP engagement, lower bounce, etc). Split testing landing page concepts will help sell more cars without spending a dime more in ad monies. If the DMM is using Dealer.com, split testing for desktop and mobile is included. If you're not using Dealer.com, inexpensive split testing solutions are all around Which split-testing software should you use? | Conversion Rate Experts, they're not expensive, are easy to install very powerful and are easy use. (optimizely.com is my favorite)

Summary: SEO is one golf club in the bag. Winners use ALL the clubs to win the game (not just their favorites)

*PPC dominator study incl's: SEO difficulty (i.e. SERP page one competition), impressions, CTR, bounce rate, % VDPs, etc

Very nice Joe!

What a great strategy. I do agree dealers need to be working with many golf clubs in order the get the best results.

Thanks

I printed out 30+ SRPs for a dealerships new car department. They are spending $20K in coop on their SEM. Of those over 30 SRPs, I could identify maybe three that were effected by SEM. They have an in-house guy doing it and they think he hung the moon. They are required to have a Dealer.com website but it isn't being used. What they are using is horrible and the mobile portion is a serious joke. Last time I talked to the GM he was bragging about over 70 percent of his business is coming from the internet. 90 percent of the salespeople are internet managers. Ignorance prevails.

I printed out 30+ SRPs for a dealerships new car department... Of those over 30 SRPs, I could identify maybe three that were effected by SEM.

Doug,
I'm not sure I follow your logic.

#1) You printed 30 SRPs (I assume you mean SERPs [Search Engine Results Pages]).
#2) Only 3 were effected by SEM* (Search Engine Marketing)

What criteria do you use to arrive at your conclusion?

*FYI, SEM is organic AND paid search Search engine marketing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Joe, very early in the morning. Caffeine deficient. I read it the second time and am not sure what I was saying. Like the old commercial, "a mind is a terrible thing".

I used various search phrases like "New Ram 1500 Ft. Worth" "2014 Jeep Wrangler Burleson" They were not showing up anywhere on the SERP. They were not in paid or organic. I was using all kinds of new car search phrases that would let you believe they were in business in the market. I found only 2 to 3 that were in paid search and one was on the far right column.

This store uses a really crappy website as their main site. They have a Dealer.com website that is on Dealername.net. I have been trying to get them to use the Dealer.com as their main site and I believe I'm close. The crappy main site really sucks when it comes to mobile. I wanted to see if there is a way to use the Dealer.com site as the mobile site while still, for now, using the other as the main site.

Doug, I'm 14 hrs into my day, so my mind is a terrible thing too!!

1st: PPC ads are like TV ads. They appear and disappear based on ad spend. So, it's entirely possible that you may miss the ads.
2nd: Use this tool to view SERPs https://adwords.google.com/d/AdPreview/?__u=1000000000&__c=1000000000

Organic SEO is a real battle. 3rd party sites like Autotrader and Cars.com and cargurus make for a tough fight. https://www.google.com/webhp?source...1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=New Ram 1500 Ft. Worth tx

As you know, Mobile sites are way too important to ignore these days. If I can help, PM me and I'll do what I can to move things fwd.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks Joe, I will. Hopefully, we will be going forward with making the dealer.com the primary site but it will be a couple of days. It might require water boarding. I helped them resolve a serious issue today which will improve production and save them money. It is difficult getting people to listen and comprehend.

TL;DR - I firmly believe that the presence of a mobile website is factored into "the Google formula".

As you know, Mobile sites are way too important to ignore these days. If I can help, PM me and I'll do what I can to move things fwd.

This point gets neglected far too often. I'm working on an actual "study" on this, but sadly the data is just all over Excels and Tableau and isn't presentable yet.

The issue with mobile sites is that many people view them as simply a solution for users on mobile devices and, at times, some people are willing to sacrifice this element as unimportant or not mission critical. The numbers I'm pulling together are showing a strong correlation between mobile friendly websites and organic SEO for the primary website. When comparing the stats I'm looking at a few things:

1. Websites that use the same domain for mobile and full-site, but they are different websites
2. Websites that use the same domain for mobile and full-site, site scales to each device with the same content
3. Websites that use different domains for different devices (ie: iphone.dealership.com) separate from the main site
4. Websites that do not have a mobile version or scalable website

As I'm pulling the numbers together, there appears to be a strong disadvantage to #3, but not as much variance as I expected between #1 and #2. The real issue I'm finding with #3 is that most of the setups take you from the main domain to a sub-domain based on the user agent string or other browser identifier. This means that google's robot will never see this other content.
Example: https://www.google.ca/search?q=site:iphone.humberviewmotorsports.com
The iphone version of this site is not indexed by Google in any capacity, even though it has a sitemap and a robots file that allows for indexing.

What I'm struggling with is finding data on #4, but I have some historical data that seems to show (across 4 separate stores) that the launch of a previously non-existent mobile site positively impacted the organic rankings for the desktop site as well. If I ever find the time to run every correlation under the sun I'll update back here, but I think it's worth considering the fact that mobile sites aren't just impacting customers on their phones necessarily.

If you aren't currently doing PPC or SEO then I'd recommend getting those two going right away. If your website isn't currently optimized (SEO) that well, then Haystack can really make a difference asap with PPC. I've also never heard anything bad from Dealer.com PPC.

For SEO I would recommend Search Optics and Dealer.com. I've heard great things about Search Optics, and haven't heard anything bad from Dealer.com. I know that Search Optics does some minor link building, which can be really beneficial for your website.

Get going on PPC right away to make a sudden impact on business, and get SEO going so that it helps your business in 2-6 months. Could be sooner if you are already doing pretty well, and could take a lot longer if it is competitive.

As for LotLinx, I've personally never had a client used it. There's good arguments for it, and good arguments against it. However, the only way to really know would be to use it for yourself. If I were in your position I'd get SEO and PPC going as soon as you can, and then add LotLinx in a couple months. I would avoid adding all of them at once because of problems with attribution. It's hard to tell what helped business when you do several things at once.